✅ SOLVED Button ID

Clo

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this weekend I was detecting this place that I?ve only searched a couple of times in the past. Previously I found a mid 19th century long underwear button and what was postulated on here to perhaps be a late 18th century coat button. We obviously don?t have the old history here in Mississippi, so I think I?m on a pretty old spot as far as this area goes. This was adjacent to a mid 1800?s cemetery, but it was right where someone dumped a bag of beer cans in the 1970?s, a bunch of can lids and two 1970?s Lincoln?s were in the same spot. So I?m fully prepared for this to be a more modern sports coat button. I can?t make out any makers mark on the back, but I think there?s something there. Toothpicks and toothbrush are as far as I?ve gone. The front has a line that looks like an ?I?, but I think this is either a design or maybe where something used to be attached to the front? Anyway, would love to hear from the experts. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626977408.760599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626977423.021904.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626977434.556005.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626977445.824844.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1626977455.591338.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since nobody has answered your relic-ID request in the 9 hours since you posted it, I'll step up. Your find appears to be a plain-front brass 1-piece "flatbutton." It also appears to have a backmark, although the lettering might be now illegible. But I can see two indented circles on the back, and an indented backmark on a brass flatbutton means it dates from about 1810 into the 1830s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clo

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the fourth picture, do my old eyes see some letters at about the 5 o'clock position?

Yes, I think there?s letters at 5, 6, 12, and 1. They actually show up better in the pics than they do in person. Maybe it?s because I can?t zoom in my eyes...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clo

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since nobody has answered your relic-ID request in the 9 hours since you posted it, I'll step up. Your find appears to be a plain-front brass 1-piece "flatbutton." It also appears to have a backmark, although the lettering might be now illegible. But I can see two indented circles on the back, and an indented backmark on a brass flatbutton means it dates from about 1810 into the 1830s.

Thanks for your insight CBG, I was hoping you?d see this. I?m not very knowledgeable on buttons. I had assumed that the seam on the outer edge of the back-side made it a 2 piece button instead of a one piece.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread