Button People PLEASE help

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a bunch of buttons in new or near new condition, that my mother gave me 40 years ago. Several of each. She thought they were WWI, and I have no idea. Could someone please identify these and date and are they worth anything.
button 1.jpg button 2.jpg button 3.jpg button 4.jpg button 5.jpg button 6.jpg
Button 1 is black and is 1 1/6" marked "Waterbury Button co" loop back
Button 2 is 15/16" , marked "Fine Quality", Loop back also a 9/16" one
Button 3 is 15/16" High dome, Marked "Chas Rupens & Co Chicago" loop back. Also a 9/16" one
Button 4 is 15/16" high dome, pierced back, no marks
Button 5 is 15/16" no marks loop back, Also a 9/16" one
Button 6 is 9/16" no marks pierced back, Also a 9/16" one

Last edited:

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! Pete very nice buttons. Can't help on them but can say they are Nice.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GAR one is the "Grand Army of the Republic".......Don'know the age.............HH

OP
OP
pistol-pete

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at button ID sights and more confused than ever. Good to hear on the GAR button. Could someone pin it down a little more?? Forgot maybe the best one pictured here. saw somewhere it might date 1850-65 button 8.jpg bnutton 7.jpg

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May I suggest... the better forum at TN for getting accurate identifiction is the What-Is-It? forum. I came across your post here in the button forum purely by accident.

Listing your buttons in the order they appear in on my monitor:
1- US Marine Corps, enlistedmen's version, "black finish" means World War One era.
2- US Navy, eagle's head looks to the EAGLE's right (not the viewer's right), 1941 to present.
3- US Army, Staff-rank (Lt. Col. & above) Officer's button, in service from 1832-to-1902, but the "Chas Rupens & Co. Chicago" backmark dates your button to 1883 at the earliest.
4- Currently believed to be a Civilian clothing "Fashion" button, not actually Military-issue, not shown in any book of American military buttons. The "pierced" back (known as a "self-shank" back) is a reliable clue that a button is not a Military-issue button.
5- Already correctly identified by Gunrunner61 as a Grand Army of the Republic button. (For anybody here who doesn't already know, the GAR was the primary yankee civil war Veterans Organization.)
6- Uncertain, shows a 1930's-era small airplane flying over the ocean, possible commemorative button of Lindbergh's transatlantic flight. It is apparently Civilian, due to the self-shank back.
7- US Army enlisted-man's button, in service from 1874 to 1902. Most collecters refer to that design (which has a very-highly-raised shield) as the Indian Wars eagle-button. The specific version of Scovill backmark on yours dates from the 1890s into the 1900s. (Note that the backmark has only the company's name and city, in very large lettering, with no circles around it, nor any "stars" or other symbols among the lettering.)

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice buttons your mom gave those are really nice

OP
OP
pistol-pete

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much Cannonballguy. A BIG help. Not into buttons at all, but ran across these Mom gave me and thought I'd like to know. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread