By far my best Day ever

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this weekend has proved to be the best two days of my mding life. I've been mding for over 20 yrs, I have always wanted to find some US history.... well I finally have.
First let me tell you I am now covered from head to toe with poison ivy rash.. thats ok...I think you'll agree....
I have been hunting in se oklahoma near the washata(correct spelling has an i instead of the second a) river where an older gentle man told me the calvary was said to have crossed many times.. after looking for several days and not finding nothing, i found a clear spot with alot of river sand. And the first signal i hit was a large eagle button with a D in the shield. :icon_biggrin: The back says scovills waterbury. I then found some lead colored buttons that look like they were poured from a mold.
Then I found a small cuff flat button with a eagle and a shield. :icon_thumright: The back says United***States***. And during all of the excitement I realized there was poison ivy and sumac everywhere... my kryptonite.... :angry3:
After going home and starting to itch I couldn't stand it. I had to go back. Im glad I did. The first signal of the day was a small cuff button just like the Eagle with the shield D. After a few minutes another familar tone and a large flat button with a eagle over the U.S symbol and looks like a wreath below that. On the back of it said United***States***. I failed to mention the first day around the first two buttons i found what was left of a pocket watch. Several large round balls and a few square head nails. Then my last good tone of the day got interupted by 4 buttons but not the kind I was lookin for :o..... after that i decided it was time to go home. I just can't believe I am finding these in Oklahoma....
I appologize for the poor quality of the pictures and am waiting for my high res. to get emailed to me so i can post them.
If anyone knows the age and possible value of these I would be most appreciative. These are my first older military buttons and i am hooked, i will be going back as soon as the rain stops.....rattle snake or not.....

Attachments

• dragoon button.jpg
    dragoon button.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 0415002218.jpg
    0415002218.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 0415002213.jpg
    0415002213.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • two dragoons.jpg
    two dragoons.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 0416002104(0001).jpg
    0416002104(0001).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 0416001748.jpg
    0416001748.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 1,102
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer buttons! :icon_thumright:

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
great finds except for the giant snake congrats :headbang: :headbang:

got posion ivy on my first hunt of the year took two weeks to get rid of it
its the worst >:( >:(

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Hey Gone Huntin, well one Oklahoman to another, those are on my wish list, I've been wanting to find some old war relics and stuff for a long time as well and still looking. You must have found a great spot, congrats on the finds, all the eagles and buttons are great. I'm in central Oklahoma around Tulsa. Went huntin and caught lunch to, can't get any better than that. Sorry about the itchy stuff, vinager works well, take some with you, good luck, Ken.

fetz

Nov 27, 2004
lebanon,pa
Detector(s) used
ace 250/Tesoro Cortes/ Whites Bullseye pinpointer
great finds except for the snake at least it is now a good dead snake

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Some nice buttons. All date about 1840's or so The eagle D's are of course Dragoon. The button with the eagle and US is a great coat button. These were in use from around 1820 to about 1839. The eagle with the shield under it's wing is a forage cap button. The four hole buttons are more than likely lead and more than likely went on pants and possibly shirts. The snake of course is more modern.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff. For the itching, take a good dose of advil or whatever painkiller you have in the house. Works better than anything else.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats,

Those are beautiful buttons. I am sure there are more out there.

HH Jer

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Good day out.
That snake doesn't look poisonous. Was it?
Newt

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newt said:
Good day out.
That snake doesn't look poisonous. Was it?
Newt
about as poisonous as they come. That's a timber rattler. The red tint on it is red clay it had just came out of the den.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice buttons!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread