What's new

Bye, Bye Clads and NIFC

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
1,402
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I dumped into circulation 2 halves 1999S Clad and two Clads halves NIFC

Some of you will find them.

Since I will not care for NIFC Clad or Proof Clad it is easier to search for just silver. Faster for me just look at the edges.

Darth
 
Upvote 0
There are lots of those coins. How will we know they're yours? You should have marked them with something so we could distinguish them from the rest of the halves out there. :tongue3:

-Codes
 
I keep 2 of each NIFC post-2001 coin, and the rest go back. All clad proofs that aren't perfect also go back.

I do keep all 1987 coins though (for some reason almost all of them I have found are in good shape). I am trying to put together full rolls of the P and D of this year.


Jim
 
Darth Walker said:
Today I dumped into circulation 2 halves 1999S Clad and two Clads halves NIFC

Some of you will find them.

Since I will not care for NIFC Clad or Proof Clad it is easier to search for just silver. Faster for me just look at the edges.

Darth
just to give you a heads up, you will miss A LOT of 40% by edge searching, 40%ers show copper on the sides...
Jason
 
If you want to send me the clad Proofs I would love to have them in any condition.. Instead of throwing them back. I will pay for them
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
just to give you a heads up, you will miss A LOT of 40% by edge searching, 40%ers show copper on the sides...
Jason

Depends if you are any good..... a trained eye won't miss very many.

Very rarely do I ever find a 40% that I missed.

On road trips I edge search (usually while driving) and go back and date/error search when I get home and I have found very few more silver ever and most were within my "learning" period when I first started.

I also usually pick out 95% of the proofs while only edge searching....(okay thats a guess as I can't remember if I have missed any or not, but I know I get most of them).
 
If you only rim search you might miss all those Medio-Balboas
that are so loved. ::)
 
I've never missed a silver edge searching. I re wrap them and double check. One time I did find a 68 with a silver edge that I threw into the pile to be wrapped. Don't know how it got there. Never found a 40% with a copper edge yet, but I'm looking.
 
When I first started i checked every coin but now I'm about 99% sure that I pull out every silver. Granted some are very hard to tell the difference but I check everything that I think maybe silver. I find alot of 71's that way but am fairly certain that I'm not missing anything. Same goes for the proofs, if it has a larger than normal edge it gets checked.
 
".... a trained eye won't miss very many."

and what it might an equally trained ear won't. 8)
 
if you rim search only you miss commeratives that are clad, many 40% I have found were so dirty they were black, no silver color at all
 
I just found them !!! LOL :hello2:
 
i don't miss many either. i edge search and my wife is learning to search so she searches behind me by date. so far the only thing that she has found behind me is about 10 proofs and 1 comm. (all clad) if you learn how to edge search correctly you won't have a problem, all comes with lots of practice.
 
Goes4ever said:
if you rim search only you miss commeratives that are clad, many 40% I have found were so dirty they were black, no silver color at all
I edge search but then take a very quick look at the side of the coin that is showong in the roll (front or back) but I do it at an angle to a bright light or window. I am looking for "that silver look" or mirror look (for proofs) I never date check, wastes too much time.

I have lost track of the amount of proofs found, and I have found a few commeratives as well. One was a $100+ comm that my coin dealer said was counterfit.

I asked him what I could get for it if I sold it on ebay stating that it was counerfit.

He said "oh, about 7 years" ;D ;D ;D
 
GMan00001 said:
Very rarely do I ever find a 40% that I missed.

That is funny, if you missed it, than it's not found. So you wont find that you missed it cause you did.... ??? LOL

Anyway.

The key to edge searching is use your eyes and ears, a 2 step process. 1) Fist look 2) let the coins waterfall from one hand to the next and listen. I have missed many 40% buy just looking so step 2 is very important.

Rich Hartford said:
I've never missed a silver edge searching. I re wrap them and double check. One time I did find a 68 with a silver edge that I threw into the pile to be wrapped. Don't know how it got there. Never found a 40% with a copper edge yet, but I'm looking.

All 40% have copper in them but most are very faint. But some a very defined. The combination of silver and copper causes the copper to tarnish so check all dull or blackend edges. I have often wondered if some of my 40%'s were struck on 90% planchet as there doesn't seem to be any hint of copper in the edge.

As far as proofs the edges should be much sharper and thicker, if not they are not really worth keeping.

Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
GMan00001 said:
Very rarely do I ever find a 40% that I missed.

That is funny, if you missed it, than it's not found. So you wont find that you missed it cause you did.... ??? LOL

Anyway.

I usually do a second pass with halves and error search certain dates and I don't find 40% in my second pass that I missed while only edge searching is what I meant.
 
Why not keep NIFCs until you have a full roll for each date/mint? They may or may not be worth something someday, but the investment is so small...I think its worth the chance they do end up having collectible value, anyways.
Proofs not in ideal condition? Yeah toss them back.
 
gotgot said:
Why not keep NIFCs until you have a full roll for each date/mint? They may or may not be worth something someday, but the investment is so small...I think its worth the chance they do end up having collectible value, anyways.
Proofs not in ideal condition? Yeah toss them back.

hmmm....I would think an impaired proof would have a higher value than an impaired NIFC, but that's just me....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom