Cache Found of 22 Old Chinese Coin!

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
I had a couple of hours to kill on Friday so decided to take my detector for a walk. I found a couple of wheats in the first half an hour, and then about an hour into the hunt I got a 5" signal that was sounding pretty much like a quarter. I dug down to 5 inches and nothing, put my sunray probe in the hole and still got a coin signal, but a few inches deeper. Dug another few inches out and still nothing, but the probe kept sounding good. Dug another bit deeper and stuck my hand in the hole. I felt something hard and dumped it out onto my detecting towel. To my surprise I saw 6 coins fall out of my hand!! I quickly put my probe back in the hole and it was screaming. Grabbed another handful of dirt from the bottom of the hole and got another handful of coins! I could not believe it, so another handful into the hole and got a third handful of coins!! :blob8: One last trip into the hole with the probe and got the last two coins out of the dirt. They were all pretty much stacked together with a few of them corroded together. Total take for the hole was 22 coins in an area about two cube inches. This is my very first cache and I am super excited! I figure that this is way too many coins to be a coin spill. I read online that these coins were often kept on a string or tether in an even amount of 50, 100, etc...I didn't find any kind of sting holding them together, but it looks like they had been in the ground quite a while. There was quite a Chinese population in this area in the late 1800's working on the railroads and mines. Don't know if someone buried these or lost them, but am sure glad that they did. The first pic of of the coins when I got them home and a look at dirty one. The others are pics of the fronts and backs of them after cleaning. The last pic of the coin in probably the best condition. I was able to find a site to compare the characters on the coin and the last pic is of a coin from the Ch'ing Dynasty. The emperor was Kao Tsung, and these coins were cast from 1736-1795. :hello2: I never thought that I would find a coin in the 1700's, especially a bunch of them at once! Needless to say I am on cloud nine about it. Happy hunting and you never know what will be in the next hole!!

Attachments

• IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,251
  • IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,254
Upvote 0

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Wow, that's really sweet finds!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
congrats, and i hope i find my first too! :thumbsup:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Congrats!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Chinese coins. Most of the ones I've found have been while beach huntin :icon_scratch: Make good washers if you're short and need one :laughing9: J/K. Those are some pretty ones that you have and the detail is still really nice on them. Congrats! :wink:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHHH!I love the ole Chinese coins,we are fortunate to dig on average between 50-100 a year,and I never tire of them.The most I have found together was in an opium tin.My buddy dug 39 in one hole,and 52 in another....come to find out that was a burial ground(It was common practice to dig up the bones and send them back to there homeland,so there was no grave desecration,and we never went back)They were not worth much back then and as you stated they were carried on strings or metal rods,mostly for gambling or barter between them selves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread