What's new

Cache From A 1700s Site

WawaDuane

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
393
Reaction score
1,624
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cache From A 1700's Site

I went back to my 1700's site today where the bush is thick even by Northern Ontario standards, some places I have to crawl around under the fallen trees and bush.

I found all the usual stuff at old sites, lots of nails and assorted metal things.


IMG_8547.webp

I have found four of these fish harpoon things at this site, must have been lots of fishing there back in the day.

IMG_8559.webp

Under a huge tree (after digging several square nails I came across this little metal box, all the tell tale signs were there, old site, big tree and to my amazement there was something rattling around inside of it!

IMG_8551.webp

I waited patiently until I got home to open properly (and with an audience) and was irritated at the results. No silver coins, English or French coins, gold jewellery...just fish hooks. Old fish hooks mind you, maybe from the 50's or 60's....a cache of rusty hooks.

IMG_8561.webp


IMG_8562.webp


IMG_8558.webp

And so ended the hunt.
 
Upvote 26
still cool though!
 
That is just painful. Next time!
 
Wawa Duane: I believe that barbed piece is a muskrat spear. They were a single tine with dual barbs often. Two tines per handle, by one forums poster's definition anyway. For some reason I thought they only used one, but two makes more sense..
Top item in added pic, borrowed from the internet. Shown below; is an ice chisel.
Another great hunt by you, congrats!

Jesuit-trade-rings.webp

Here's some others..
http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=687F2E57-155D-4519-3EC7E78A98948DC8
 
Last edited:
Not everyone finds a cache. I say way cool! Congrats.
 
Ya got hooked on the dream of a cache?
 
Ouch! :BangHead: I would've felt a big let-down opening that box! Especially coming from an old site like you have!

Hope you find a wonderful cache of old silver & gold soon! :icon_thumright: Andi
 
Wawa Duane: I believe that barbed piece is a muskrat spear. They were a single tine with dual barbs often. Two tines per handle, by one forums poster's definition anyway. For some reason I thought they only used one, but two makes more sense..
Top item in added pic, borrowed from the internet. Shown below; is an ice chisel.
Another great hunt by you, congrats!

View attachment 1199077

Here's some others..
Photo Gallery (U.S. National Park Service)

Thanks for the info...a muskrat spear...I would have never guess that one..thanks again.
 
I bet the heart was pounding when you were opening it :icon_thumleft:
 
Congratulations on the nice relic finds!
 
WADA THATS SOME NEAT RELICS . AND I THINK THE AXE HEAD THEY CALL HUDSON BAY .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom