What's new

California Gold Coins - Real?

pointdlr

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
414
Reaction score
78
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
These coins all came off a very old charm bracelet from a prominent old Cincinnati family. In the first picture, I included all the coins on the bracelet, b/c the top row are all 100% authentic US issued gold coins. Here is a breakdown of the coins in the first picture:
Top Row Left to Right:
1) 1853 $1 US Gold
2) 1929 $2.5 US Gold
3) 1854 $1 US Gold
4) 1849 $1 US Gold.
It is the bottom row that I only have a hunch on. I do know they are all represented to be California Fractional Gold pieces. From a little research, I found out that these were reproduced by jewelers. I am hoping to find someone who is an expert on these types of coins that may be able to identify them as the real ones or the jeweler copies. I will say that they "feel" like real gold, but I just don't know for sure.
Here is a list for Row 2 Left to Right:
1) 1856 "Half Dol. California Gold"
2) 1870 "Half Dollar"
3) 1872 or 3 "1/4 Dolllar Cal."
4) 1858 "California Gold"
5) 1870 "1 Dollar California Gold"
Thanks in Advance for your help,
Jon Dickinson
 

Attachments

  • goldcoins1.webp
    goldcoins1.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,388
  • goldcoins2.webp
    goldcoins2.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,754
  • goldcoins3.webp
    goldcoins3.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,835
Nice coins! Don't slab the coins, since it will come back as damaged and not slabbed.
 
Upvote 0
Since no one has asked,was wondering where you got or found those coins.:icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
I'd send one or more to a professional grading company and see what they have to say.
If they say they are real, I'd send the rest of them to the same grader.
That should solve the validity question.
Don........
 
Upvote 0
Nice coins! Don't slab the coins, since it will come back as damaged and not slabbed.

If you send them in to have them slabbed they will still come back in a "GENUINE" slab if they are deemed authentic, the only difference is that they will not be assigned a grade they will just be certified as a genuine but damaged gold coin. So in my opinion it is worth spending the money to have them sent in be sure.
 
Upvote 0
Those are some rare coins.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom