What's new

California Stage Stop Seated Half!

Silverseeker

Full Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
179
Reaction score
137
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indian Wells Valley, CA
After years of thinking my favorite local spots were done producing, I decided to give it another try. Yesterday, I re visited a stage stop that was in use from the 1870's to the 1880's. This site is mostly untouched for the last 130 years, with no modern trash. It is basically 5 acres of rusty square nails, can dumps, barrel rings, and debris. It is very difficult to hunt, but it has produced a few gems over the years.

After two hours of digging a surprising amount of targets (for a site I thought I hunted out), I finally got something to brag about. My first seated liberty half. It came out of the ground ugly and barely identifiable. I wasn't able to see the date till I got it home ... 1854.

Dug.webp

This turned out to be my oldest coin, and my first seated half. Ugly or not it's a great find for me. Here's a pic of it cleaned.


Cleaned.webp
 
Upvote 50
Awesome find. I love my California seated coins ;)
 
wow - great find, nothing is EVER hunted out ....
 
Silver are you in nor cal? I'm in Folsom.
 
She's a beaut to me. Congrats. Hoping someday to find a seated anything.
 
Nice! Haven't found any seated coins. Congrats
 
Heart stopper for sure!
 
Great find, I too, just found a 1863 Seated Liberty half along with a 1819 capped bust half in the same hole. Congratulations!
 
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I almost didn't post this since it was so beat up and it wasn't key date. Glad I did now.

"Silver are you in nor cal? I'm in Folsom"
No Pennyhunter, I am hunting in the High desert in centeral California. Although my last vacation was to Northern CA and I did some detecting up there.
 
Awesome! My online detecting friend just found one at a field site in Ohio! Hope to find one of those some day!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom