Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.......I never could figure out why some one would want a detector or digger that is ..Camouflage color......... My self i like my equipment ..to be bright colors.... Red .. Orange ... for there have been times i have left them in the woods ... and when i went back to look for them i spotted them right away from a long distance ...If they were Camo i might have never found them......

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay, Keppy was only saying he liked his equipment to be easily found if lost. I realize every one wants to have fun but the topic was identification.
My shovel and scoop handles are coated with a bright yellow rubber coating. It's not just to find them if I mislay them, but to discourage them from growing legs.
Frank...
GetAttachment.aspx
Or you could have a 'friend' watch them for you!
When I'm in the woods, I want my equipment and myself to stand out too.....especially during deer season! I don't want some knucklehead thinking I'm fair game! But in a park or school? I want to blend into the background.

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think positive...if you lose one...you can go buy another just to find your old one! :)

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the Garrett Camo Assault Rifle looking Detector Bag? How's that going to work out for you, when someone calls 911 and reports a man with a Assault Rifle and a large knife at the Tot Lot?

I thought the same thing one day as I'm strapping on my digger and pulling the MD out of my camo bag. Had some serious stares from uneasy parents for a few minutes.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought the same thing one day as I'm strapping on my digger and pulling the MD out of my camo bag. Had some serious stares from uneasy parents for a few minutes.

This is exactly why I have not used the bag. It is very nicely made. Very thick and looks like it will last, but I am afraid someone will think I have a rifle. I plan on storing the detector over the winter in it, but will be taking it back out to use in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy,

I think Roaddust said it best.

Simple explanation. I am not a coinshooter or relic hunter. I typically look for cache sites and sealed mines. If I have a spot I have spent a long time researching, pounding the ground (in 120 degree desert), climbing craggy hills/mountains in godforsaken places, the very last thing in this world I want is when I am zeroing in on my goal, to have some other detectorist see my equipment. They wait till I am done for the day, then take their machine out and start poking around my area. If they see me with expensive equipment, they may keep coming back to my spot and poach on all my hard work.

Most of my stuff is well camouflaged, and if I see anybody nosing around, I drop it behind a rock and look as much like a hiker as possible. Mind you, this is in the desert/mountains. I don't get people that do this getting all camoed out to go to the park or beach. That is ridiculous to me.

Best - Mike

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy,

Simple explanation. I am not a coinshooter or relic hunter. I typically look for cache sites and sealed mines. If I have a spot I have spent a long time researching, pounding the ground (in 120 degree desert), climbing craggy hills/mountains in godforsaken places, the very last thing in this world I want is when I am zeroing in on my goal, to have some other detectorist see my equipment. They wait till I am done for the day, then take their machine out and start poking around my area. If they see me with expensive equipment, they may keep coming back to my spot and poach on all my hard work.

Most of my stuff is well camouflaged, and if I see anybody nosing around, I drop it behind a rock and look as much like a hiker as possible. Mind you, this is in the desert/mountains. I don't get people that do this getting all camoed out to go to the park or beach. That is ridiculous to me.

Best - Mike
I agree with you about using camo at the beach. (I don't know....do they make camo speedos? :laughing7:) Even though I don't use camo, I can see using it in a park for the same reason you do it in the desert.....you don't want people to see what you're doing.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear my cammy jammies in the woods, street clothes in public places. No need to be seen when not necessary, no need to worry folks in public. The less impact we make, visually or aurally the better off we are. I always wear headphones and use my pinpointer with the speaker taped over or one with the ability to turn off the sound so as not to attract too much attention. Yeah, Cuda, they make almost any garment in camo, you can probably find your camo speedos if you look hard enough.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's more my problem at this point in my life........I don't look hard body enough for speedos!! It definitely wouldn't make me unobtrusive! People would be calling the police, EPA (visual pollution, don't you know), and the men in white suits that have the nice long sleeved robes!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has a lot to do with personal preference. Some people like the way Camo looks. Some people don't. No biggy either way.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy,

Best - Mike
If i was were you hunt and do what you do i would would be in camouflaged also ... but like you when i see them in a park or beach hunting in cameo ... I think to my self they look like some crazy's out there..No wonder most think the one's with detectors in the park & on the beach are nuts..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread