2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages cornbread mix
1 (15 ounce) can creamed-style corn
1 cup water
2 large eggs
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 or 2 plum tomatoes, cut into round slices
Salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heavily grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan.

Brown ground beef in skillet; drain off fat. Stir in 1 cup water and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally, and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens and meat looks well seasoned.

Combine cornbread mix, creamed corn, 1 cup water and eggs in a mixing bowl. Stir well to mix everything together. Pour half of cornbread batter into glass baking dish. Layer ground beef, then cheese on top of batter. Then spread remaining batter over cheese. Top with chiles and tomatoes arranged in an attractive pattern. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and cooked through.

Serve a square of the casserole with a spoonful of salsa. Refrigerate leftovers and re-heat in a microwave until hot.

Serves 8 to 10.

If I am frying the hamburger in a cast iron skillet, I will just wipe grease out when done and make the bcornbread in the same skillet...just reduce the heat in oven a little bit....
This is also a great recipe that can be made over a good bed of coals on your campfire...cover with castiron lid and bury in coals for about 1/2 hour

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I think this is a great recipe to make and take to work when we're having a group lunch or whatever. Thanks!

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
There's no "someone" to this Cyn...of course, the one and only Gypsy Cook will be more than happy to make a mess of her stuffed cornbread! ;)

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Gypsyheart,

Whoa, How bad can this be! I never saw a cornbread that I didn't like. Going to try this one for sure.
What's this about a Charter members event? Thanks Gypsyheart! Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread