Can a metal detector find glass? It did this time! Civil War whiskey bottle and more

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't exactly a "today's find", but I've been so busy since coming back from Diggin' in Virginia last weekend I haven't had time to post this....

Anyhow, for those of you unfamiliar Diggin' in Virginia is a paid Civil War invitational relic hunt that last for three days - rain of shine. This year we were blessed with three perfect days of 70 degree clear weather! Unfortunately I was not able to hunt the first day, but still had a lot of fun the final two days.

One of the features of these hunts is that they are almost always held at winter encampments... which means there are trash pits, fire pits, and huts to find and dig. In these deep holes you can often find a time capsule of relics... or they can be completely empty.

On the second day of the hunt (first for me!) I found a spot that was producing 12"+ deep buttons and brass... strangely enough I found 6 pieces of brass before the first bullet. There was a deep button signal on the GPX 5000 that needed to be investigated..... only this time it wasn't a button. After what seemed like an hour of digging (it wasn't! Just the anticipation made it feel that way!) I found the culprit.... at 30" deep there was the remains of a sardine can. :tongue3: But more importantly was a really nice whiskey bottle laying on top of it! The rest of the day was spent digging out this hut... and found a few buttons and bullets and a J hook down in it. At the end of the day, I'd only hunted a 50x50 area.... which is what you need to do to find the deep relics with a GPX. 8-)

The final day I spent hunting a pounded out area looking for a complete Shaler bullet.... they are three pieces of lead and of course found seperately. At the end of the day I found two... the front and the back. Hope to go back and find a middle someday. :)

I'll add a picture of the triangle in the ground as found.... it was a LOUD signal and about 12" deep on edge... was hoping for a plate at the time but was happy for this relic too!

The bottle and some of the relics found were filmed, as I have time I'll put together a video for youtube...

Attachments

• IMG_7429.JPG
    IMG_7429.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7431.JPG
    IMG_7431.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 135
  • bottle low res b.jpg
    bottle low res b.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7397.JPG
    IMG_7397.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7398.JPG
    IMG_7398.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Old Dude - these hunts are by invitation... this happened to be the 28th hunt they have held. Check out this post for more info.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tnet-member-hunts/400865-diggin-virginia.html They are actually hosted on a different website but I don't think I'm allowed to mention it here...

VOL1266 - I was using my GPX 5000 with the 15x12 coil. The soil is super hot there, and I think a lot is missed by guys using the standard 11" coil. Many of may favorite relics have been dug with that detector. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back