Can a metal detector find glass? It did this time! Civil War whiskey bottle and more

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't exactly a "today's find", but I've been so busy since coming back from Diggin' in Virginia last weekend I haven't had time to post this....

Anyhow, for those of you unfamiliar Diggin' in Virginia is a paid Civil War invitational relic hunt that last for three days - rain of shine. This year we were blessed with three perfect days of 70 degree clear weather! Unfortunately I was not able to hunt the first day, but still had a lot of fun the final two days.

One of the features of these hunts is that they are almost always held at winter encampments... which means there are trash pits, fire pits, and huts to find and dig. In these deep holes you can often find a time capsule of relics... or they can be completely empty.

On the second day of the hunt (first for me!) I found a spot that was producing 12"+ deep buttons and brass... strangely enough I found 6 pieces of brass before the first bullet. There was a deep button signal on the GPX 5000 that needed to be investigated..... only this time it wasn't a button. After what seemed like an hour of digging (it wasn't! Just the anticipation made it feel that way!) I found the culprit.... at 30" deep there was the remains of a sardine can. :tongue3: But more importantly was a really nice whiskey bottle laying on top of it! The rest of the day was spent digging out this hut... and found a few buttons and bullets and a J hook down in it. At the end of the day, I'd only hunted a 50x50 area.... which is what you need to do to find the deep relics with a GPX. 8-)

The final day I spent hunting a pounded out area looking for a complete Shaler bullet.... they are three pieces of lead and of course found seperately. At the end of the day I found two... the front and the back. Hope to go back and find a middle someday. :)

I'll add a picture of the triangle in the ground as found.... it was a LOUD signal and about 12" deep on edge... was hoping for a plate at the time but was happy for this relic too!

The bottle and some of the relics found were filmed, as I have time I'll put together a video for youtube...

Attachments

• IMG_7429.JPG
    IMG_7429.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7431.JPG
    IMG_7431.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 134
  • bottle low res b.jpg
    bottle low res b.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7397.JPG
    IMG_7397.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7398.JPG
    IMG_7398.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 6

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a bunch of nice finds really like the bottle. I've always wanted to do a DIV but haven't had a chance. HH!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice golden amber whiskey bottle Keith! I have been to 13 DIVs and only dug one bottle. You already have me beat!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice stuff that's a sweet bottle. I'd like to attend one of those digs myself. Looks like fun.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice golden amber whiskey bottle Keith! I have been to 13 DIVs and only dug one bottle. You already have me beat!

Steve, you need to put that TDI in the "G" for glass mode.... LOL Or do what I was doing and just dig all those deep iron targets.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! But that whisky takes the cake. Does it have an iron pontil?

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there man, glad you had fun. I heard a guy found a few seated halfs, $20, $2.5 and $1 gold coins all in one spot. There is a video floating around on YouTube but I forgot what it's called.

Thanks!- and yes he did! It was amazing to see those coins with my own eyes! Here's the video:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm so NOT a glass guy, but the WHERE on that bottle is super sweet. I would LOVE to find one like YOU did! And the buttons look GREAT! Can you say where the DIV was?? (Nice pull on the shaler, BTW - I only have a middle, so we should get together!)

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so NOT a glass guy, but the WHERE on that bottle is super sweet. I would LOVE to find one like YOU did! And the buttons look GREAT! Can you say where the DIV was?? (Nice pull on the shaler, BTW - I only have a middle, so we should get together!)

Parson - Thanks! You and your Dad did real well too!

I just posted on your campfire thread.... its those kinds of holes that produce bottles, plus buttons, bullets and all sorts of goodies. Clean them out often enough and you will get your share. :) As for the DIV.... this one was in Culpeper. :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds... Can you show a pic of the bottom of the bottle?

be2019

Oct 18, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool, great finds.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That display shows the beautiful contrasting patina between the brass and the lead. That's an awesome haul. Is this hunt by invitation or limited to a certain number of people? Looks like a great trip to make. That video is a real sensation.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! But that whisky takes the cake. Does it have an iron pontil?

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Im not seeing an iron mark on the bottom but I'm not a bottle expert... Just like to dig them on occasion. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread