jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Attention smugglers of empty soda cans: Stay out of Michigan, or you could face jail time.
Lawmakers are taking aim at people who use out-of-state cans and bottles to cash in on Michigan's recycling refund, which pays 10 cents per container.
Legislation debated Tuesday would make an attempt to return between 100 and 10,000 non-returnable containers punishable by up to 93 days in jail or $1,000 in fines, or both. Current law sets penalties only for those who actually return fraudulent containers.

Republican Herald | News | republicanherald.com

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman load up the mail truck with cans to smuggle into Michigan. :)

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
I just heard about that on the radio. Didn't catch whether they were doing it down here in Florida too. They have reason to impose this law though.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 questions it says "an attempt" to return between 100 and 10,000 non-returnable containers punishable by up to 93 days in jail or $1,000 in fines.

#1. It says "an attempt" does this mean if you get away with it long enough to get the check, Are you free ?

#2. if you take 99 or 10,001 are you free ?
(loophole for the big guns ? )

Last edited:

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
2 questions it says "an attempt" to return between 100 and 10,000 non-returnable containers punishable by up to 93 days in jail or $1,000 in fines.

#1. It says "an attempt" does this mean if you get away with it long enough to get the check, Are you free ?

#2. if you take 99 or 10,001 are you free ?
(loophole for the big guns ? )
Having a set number will always create some kind of loophole don't ya think?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a set number will always create some kind of loophole don't ya think?

Yes Very odd :icon_scratch:

if there are stiffer charges on the books for Higher amounts, why not mention it ?

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
Yes Very odd :icon_scratch:

if there are stiffer charges on the books for Higher amounts, why not mention it ?

I could see getting rid of the maximum number "Up to 10,000" and just say over 100. But the minimum would have to stay around 100 because for reasonable reasons a few cans do come into the state. As for why they don't, who knows.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a state that has a 5 cent refund they will not take large amounts of non state cans. I have tried. My mom saves cans and recycles them in Minnesota and gets a buck or two. When I told ger how much I was getting down here she told me to take hers and try. I did, I mixed one bag with cans from my area and one back I left alone. When I brought them in they took the mixed bag first with no problems but when they got to the MN bag they just gave them back. They don't mind a few here and there but a full bag is a no no. Also another tip is all coke products have the refund label on them so they can be taken from other states and recycled for a refund in refund states. The pepsi products have a diffrent colored top (gold for the most part) for refund cans.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid my family would gather at my grandmas in Iowa for the fourth of July and by the end of the weekend or week she would have about 10 big bags full of cans from a few surrounding states and they never gave her a hard time. This was also like 15 years ago.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
I wish every state would do a deposit. Pop and beer is so expensive anymore anyway. Who would notice another dollar or so added to the total. I can still remember when i turned 21 i could get a 30 stone of Coors for 14 or 15 dollars. Now it like 24 dollars around here. Thats a pretty big price hike for only being less than 10 years ago. Plus i dont buy that much pop or beer. Most of my cans come from the side of the road, let someone else pay the price... Ill just cash in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread