What is the best way to scrap a van?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I have a Ford E-350 cargo van that I want to scrap, I have got a few estimates from some local online places that will pick it up and pay cash. The offers I have got are $300 and $350. I am thinking its a bit low. And will these places offer less when they get there saying "it was just an estimate". Will I get more if I drive it to a scrap yard?
Marty

Last edited:

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All scrap yards vary on what they pay per ton. Im sure the "just an estimate excuse" is because they dont know the exact wait until it crosses the scales. I demolition derby so I always bring mine in so i'm not sure if you get more or not for bringing it in yourself. If I had to guess I am sure they would charge you to pick it up so personally I would just bring it in yourself. Call around to the scrap yards around you and ask what they pay per ton. Bring it to whoever pays most then obviously.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the highest return for you van, you need to do a couple of things first.

1. Remove all the tires from the wheels, and drain all the fluids. The lower price you received took into account that the van wasn't prepped.
2. Cut out the catalytic converter, most yards pay extra for those because of the platinum inside them.
3.Fill it with all the scrap you can to add to the weight.

I just did a 1997 f150 today, and received 8.5 cents per pound, (todays rate in Vt.), for 4260 lbs.=$357.00, plus $45 for the converter.
Hope that this was helpful, your van should weigh more than my truck did. Good luck.

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the highest return for you van, you need to do a couple of things first.

1. Remove all the tires from the wheels, and drain all the fluids. The lower price you received took into account that the van wasn't prepped.
2. Cut out the catalytic converter, most yards pay extra for those because of the platinum inside them.
3.Fill it with all the scrap you can to add to the weight.

I just did a 1997 f150 today, and received 8.5 cents per pound, (todays rate in Vt.), for 4260 lbs.=$357.00, plus $45 for the converter.
Hope that this was helpful, your van should weigh more than my truck did. Good luck.

X2 on the cat. Converter. Different converters bring different amounts of money depending on what it came from. Also, I doubt it will, but if it has aluminum rims on it scrap those separately also. 12 bucks per aluminum rim around here so that's an extra 48 bucks right there. But like I said all scrap yards and states have different prices, rules, and laws so check around first.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Filling up the van is a good idea, except if your yard is like the ones around here, scrap vehicles are a different and lower price than prepared heavy steel. So call your yard and see. Loading it down with tin cans around here would be the way to go

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DemonWolfe said:
Filling up the van is a good idea, except if your yard is like the ones around here, scrap vehicles are a different and lower price than prepared heavy steel. So call your yard and see. Loading it down with tin cans around here would be the way to go

Actually tin and any other non ferrous metal is worth more than steel. Best to sell any nonferrous separate. And there are all sorts of grades of ferrous metal shred, heavy melt, etc, etc.

In the end for 1 single van I wouldn't spend too much time. Call a few close yards and dump it. If you go far you prob won't even recoup your gas money. Just being honest.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Around here tin is about half of what prepared is. Depending on which yard u go to your looking at anywhere from $80 to $110, on a good day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread