Can anyone help me repair my Bounty Hunter II?

Sep 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine recently gave me a fairly old metal detector he had, as I wanted to get into the hobby. He was fairly certain that the darn thing would work. After cleaning the terminals, replacing the batteries, and looking for about ten minutes just to find the manual, I flipped it on, and nothing happened as I tried to tune it. It's a very early model so I wont be surprised if not many people have experience with it. If anyone could help it would be extremely appreciated. Oh and the internals all looked to be in good shape so I'm just perplexed. IMG_7347.JPG IMG_7347.JPG IMG_7348.JPG IMG_7349.JPG

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can help walk you through a check out, do you have a multimeter?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beat Frequency Oscillator or BFO. I still have my first detector but I believe it is a Bounty Hunter l. If you get it up and running, you have to set the threshold(noise level) to about neutral and then listen for changes....not many adjustments and it will find metal...all kinds! I believe that machine dates back to the 70s.

OP
OP
V
Sep 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can help walk you through a check out, do you have a multimeter?
Not at the moment, I moved and haven't had the chance to get stuff out of storage. Thank you so much for being able to help. Since I already should get a new multimeter I'll run down and pick one up in a bit. Thank you again!

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not at the moment, I moved and haven't had the chance to get stuff out of storage. Thank you so much for being able to help. Since I already should get a new multimeter I'll run down and pick one up in a bit. Thank you again!
How are you doing with your detector project, good I hope, :icon_thumleft:

netcoord99

Nov 14, 2021
Beat Frequency Oscillator or BFO. I still have my first detector but I believe it is a Bounty Hunter l. If you get it up and running, you have to set the threshold(noise level) to about neutral and then listen for changes....not many adjustments and it will find metal...all kinds! I believe that machine dates back to the 70s.
I have a BH 1 too and it doesn't make a sound. A little help would be appreciated if you're still around. I have a multimeter. The tuning knob turns round and round. Is this normal? The volume knob is ok.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH 1 too and it doesn't make a sound. A little help would be appreciated if you're still around. I have a multimeter. The tuning knob turns round and round. Is this normal? The volume knob is ok.
The thread is 3 years old, best bet is to call First Texas and have it sent in for repair, sounds like the tuning potentiometer is bad.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Texas won't repair these. It's a BFO from 1970, two bankruptcies ago for Bounty Hunter. If it doesn't work, it's a wall hanger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread