What's new

Can anyone ID the firearm in this 19th century photo?

turtlefoot13

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
733
Reaction score
105
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi,

I have a vintage photograph that has a firearm in it that I am trying to ID. The photo is an original CDV that will date fromt the 1860's-1880's. It has a VERY HIGH probability of being German or Austrian in origin. I actually have two questions on this one.

1. What is the firearm that this man has?
2. Do you think he is a market hunter or just someone who is proud of his weapon or something else?

Thanks for the help.
Doug

hunter001.jpg

hunter002.jpg
 
Heavy barrelled muzzleloading target rifle, appears to have a tang sight. Triggerguard does look to be Germanic.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, it is a German style target rifle. It is percussion: you can see the capper hanging around his neck. He also has a medal on... possibly a shooting club medal. Lots of German immigrants brought these type of guns over with them too.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. I now have somewhere to start when it comes to trying to ID the firearm and possibly more about this man.

Doug
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom