What's new

Can anyone tell me what it says?

nvradar

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
558
Reaction score
139
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
This was an interesting thing given to me and have been wondering what it says and what you think it was used for. Thanks guys NVRADAR
 

Attachments

  • DSC04854.webp
    DSC04854.webp
    14 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC04852.webp
    DSC04852.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 568
what you have is the top of an Opium tin.They are very common in the Gold Fields as was Opium.I have a link somewhere I will try to find that deciphers the writing.Most state what Province that Opium originated in.I have hundreds of them and have enjoyed logging different varieties

http://www.cinarc.org/Opium.html#anchor_89
 
Upvote 0
nvradar ~

Here's a link to an interesting website, (and may be the one kuger was referring to). It's a little complicated, but once you figure out how to use it, it should be able to translate the symbols for you. I was fooling around with it awhile back and got some positive results. If you need help with it, please draw out (on paper and scan) the symbols, and I will be glad to assist you. Or, better yet, start by taking your item to a Chinese restaurant or market and see what they have to say.

SBB

Translation Link: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/mouse.html
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys I will try both of them and if it fails I will take momma to dinner tonight and see if the folks at the chinese buffet can tell me. NVRADAR
 
Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
nvradar ~

Here's a link to an interesting website, (and may be the one kuger was referring to). It's a little complicated, but once you figure out how to use it, it should be able to translate the symbols for you. I was fooling around with it awhile back and got some positive results. If you need help with it, please draw out (on paper and scan) the symbols, and I will be glad to assist you. Or, better yet, start by taking your item to a Chinese restaurant or market and see what they have to say.

SBB

Translation Link: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/mouse.html

I dont know what more I can do??The link I posted is the only one I have found that touches on that.I have sent them images of several that I have,that didnt have listed and dont see them up there yet,but they are very nice folks.!!Taking these to Chinese restaraunts will not bring you much,as I have been told,"It different,me no know"??Same thing with the Chinese coins
 
Upvote 0
nvradar ~

I experimented with the second symbol down from the top ~ and of the seven results ~ the most common translation was ....

:icon_scratch: "To Speak / Talk / Ask" :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
LOL!! it's not going to be easy, I tried to find the right symbols and no luck yet.
 
Upvote 0
Top symbol, and the hardest to draw ~ 15 choices ~ Most Common Was ...


:dontknow: Hang ~ Stick In ~ Carry ~ Collapse ~ :icon_scratch:


So here's my hillbilly translation ...


"Carry to ask for endurance for all time"

:dontknow:

SBB
 
Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Top symbol, and the hardest to draw ~ 15 choices ~ Most Common Was ...


:dontknow: Hang ~ Stick In ~ Carry ~ Collapse ~ Hang :icon_scratch:


So here's my hillbilly translation ...


"Carry this to ask for endurence for all time"

:dontknow:

SBB

Maybe he has me on "Ignore"?Non the less...the characters denote the Company that supplied the opium...as I have given proof of
 
Upvote 0
kuger ~

I'm just fooling around and sharing (as best I can) what that crazy translator comes up with. It's hard to draw the symbols. I will take your word for what the lid says. And in plain English, exactly what does it say? I can't quite figure it out from your link.

Thanks.

SBB
 
Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
kuger ~

I'm just fooling around and sharing (as best I can) what that crazy translator comes up with. It's hard to draw the symbols. I will take your word for what the lid says. And in plain English, exactly what does it say? I can't quite figure it out from your link.

Thanks.

SBB


...as I stated,they are not all on that site...I have over 30 different types and ,well,you see what they have there.I sent them a few they didnt have,and as said dont see them listed yet...however they did tell me what Province they did beleive they were from.From what I gather the characters are either not "words",or are of an old dialect not used still,as I was told by several "experts".I am sure if contacted the folks listed throughout the links I provided could shed more light,and I would like to know what they say as well.I am not near my catalog of lids at the moment but the lid in question does look familiar so I would venture to say I have it and may have further info my self.
In the meantime there is no harm in seeing if they do say something...just from personal experience I could never come up with much.The word,"LUCK",and "PROSPER",do seem to be a common word on many
 
Upvote 0
I think there are so many words or symbols that have many different meanings it probly will be very tough to get their actual meaning, but it's fun trying. NVRADAR
 
Upvote 0
LOL! not sure that one applies High Plains.... :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Keep going sodabottle you are getting close!! :notworthy: Suppose it could be something along the lines of a fortune cookie?
 
Upvote 0
In plain English?

Sure, I'll give it a shot with this ...

"Container For Enlightment Regarding Life's Unanswered Mysteries"

(After all, they were smoking opium ~ what else could it possibly mean?) Lol :tongue3:

SBB
 
Upvote 0
Hey that works for me. Sounds very appropriate. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom