• IM000103.JPG
    IM000103.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,560

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
round or square Doc...you'd never pick nothing up with that not one man...explain the ratchet mechanism how do you ratchet a rail tie and how would one man pick it up with a pole....

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OKAY! Now you are starting to make assumptions that are without basis! When has anybody ever said that the pole was broken? Until such a time as the originator says the wooden handle may be broken, we must go on the premise that it is as it was supposed to be.

The ends of the hooks are clawed to accept a chain. See the picture below.

It is a "Stretcher Bar Puller" Used for stretching netted fencing. Follow the link and see. Same thing but older

http://www.staytitefence.com/fence-design/fence-installation.htm

Mike

Attachments

• stretcher2a.jpg
    stretcher2a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 709
  • puller.jpg
    puller.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 686
Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[diving doc ]
. Ask Jose, he's stretched lots of fences.
Doc
sheehs Doc, no fences, just treasure and flying stories a bit.

As for the thingie in question, i.e. No.1 picture in this lead, check on old Chinese literature & photographs for two man carry of heavy loads. Old mining pictures show this also. It is a lifting device.

Your description is adequate Doc. snicker

Incidentally, as Stever said originally, the tongs have double arm hooks on each side, i.e. four altogether, so I will tend to ties for a more secure "dig in" effect, although it "will" work for either nicely.

I missed the double thingie at first and thought that the second's shadow was a pressure ridge, however in no way does it change anything.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Mike nailed it- I was wondering what the hasp in the middle was for- a come along! The device itself can't stretch squat. Good job Gollum!

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Gonna add to the mix - here's what it would look like going through its motions under tension

Unlike the other stretchers, this one's handle extends through the head and would inhibit the range of motion for the arm on the right side. Kinda impractical for pulling two wires together to be joined if they wind up so out of line.

Just my two cents worth

Diggem'

Attachments

• logdog.jpg
    logdog.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tongs to carry stuff have sharp tips, look at the difference.

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 504
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 451
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 47_2.jpg
    47_2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 472
  • 230010984217.jpg
    230010984217.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 472
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 466
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 453
  • index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at my last post. It is not made for pulling single wire fence. It is made to pull together web wire fencing via a stretcher bar.

Look at the link I posted to see the way it is done. There are NO RATCHETS, and it doesn't need gearing. Once again. Read the link.

Mike

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
Chagy said:
Tongs to carry stuff have sharp tips, look at the difference.

What no one seems to grasp that you need a bar that is pushed thru the metal fencing to take the strain and you have to put a come-along to the bar
with chain. The object has little points that would hold a square post, that's why a farmer would use something like this but the object has no purchase for chain!! Pulling wire is a different tool again. Check my links on fencing.

All this has been posted in links I've put up but few have bothered to read.

Doc

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT HAS NO PURCHASE FOR CHAIN??? Look again at this close up of the jaws! It is made to hold chain!

Attachments

• stretcher2a.jpg
    stretcher2a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 507
  • stretcher2a.jpg
    stretcher2a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 502
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. Maybe a better visual will help!

Attachments

• stretcher2b.jpg
    stretcher2b.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 473
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 463
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are more than shallow hooks. The piece posted by Chagy is a modern version of that. Made to accomodate a round handle. What you few people don't seem to be able to grasp are the mechanics of the modern device are exactly the same as this one!

You seem to have to jump into some assumptions that are not backed up by anything but your desire to be right (ouch!)! ;D ;D The bar is not broken. By virtue of the nail/screws that hold it in place, the bar does not slide through the head. The arms are clawed to accept a chain (like in Chagy's modern version). I and somebody else have provided you with a link to demonstrate the mechanics of how it works (it works in conjunction with stretcher bars for a web type fence (like say for a dog run).

If it were for carrying something like a log or RR tie, the arms would seem to have been attached at a single point with a swivel to the head, so the two/four people carrying it would have an easier time of it (as in the picture you gave us, Doc)! No need for claws on the ends of the arms if it were meant to pick up RR rails, and there are no barbs if it were meant to pick up wood.

LOGIC! My friends!

Mike

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=stever ]
The handle is over 6 feet long the claws or tongs are probably 10 to 12 inches long each having "2 teeth." ( separation is mine.)
No comment, other than even though my initiales are "JC", I am not quite HIS equal yet, close but ------still sink in the water from time to time. hehehehehehehehhhe

I could "blame it on Mame boys" but actually a poor picture on "my" screen, which I finally cleared up ---

Final question, is the shaft broken off on the right side of the picture? if not, then ---------X sniff hehehe

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Doc, I tended to side with you until I took a closer look at Chagy's "winching.jpg"

The thing WOULD work in the fashion shown in the picture (I'm too lazy to run through the gyrations in AutoCAD again, but could if need be)

Used in this fashion it appears that it could be 'ratcheted' along a length of chain, alternating purchase between the two 'dogs' to progressively increase tension with each link gained.........

I feel like Italy, but I'm switching sides.

Diggem'

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
[=stever ]
The handle is over 6 feet long the claws or tongs are probably 10 to 12 inches long each having "2 teeth." ( separation is mine.)
No comment, other than even though my initiales are "JC", I am not quite HIS equal yet, close but ------still sink in the water from time to time. hehehehehehehehhhe

I could "blame it on Mame boys" but actually a poor picture on "my" screen, which I finally cleared up ---

Final question, is the shaft broken off on the right side of the picture? if not, then ---------X sniff hehehe

Tropical Tramp

Does this mean that in the absense of proof of a broken handle, you have changed your mind?HeHe!

Mike

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
:o :o :o :o ;D

Attachments

• SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 527
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 571
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 547
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 489
  • index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 483
  • SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 483
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 576
  • winching.jpg
    winching.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 554
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 485
  • index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chagy, I was just about to do that very same thing!

Doc, we're waiting for you to strike the colors and hand over your sword. :'( :'( :'(

Mike

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=gollum ]
What you few people don't seem to be able to grasp are the mechanics of the modern device are exactly the same as this one!
No question on the mecanics, fairly straight forward, what is there to grasp??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it were for carrying something like a log or RR tie, the arms would seem to have been attached at a single point with a swivel to the head,
I disagree here for obvious reasons.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No need for claws on the ends of the arms if it were meant to pick up RR rails, and there are no barbs if it were meant to pick up wood.
Reasoning?

Tropical Tramp

]

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing. I'll explain what the little holes on the top of the head are for. When you get the fence stretched to the tension you desire, the handle has been pulled parallel to the chain and fence. A nail or small piece of metal rod is placed through the hole to keep the handle in place. You can also wrap the chain around both the handle and the chain/fence to hold it in place while you tighten the other puller (two are recommended for up to six feet in height).

Mike

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread