What's new

Can someone identify this tooth?

outlawatheart

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
815
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I found this while hiking in New Mexico around the Clovis area. It was found in the side of a wash bank about 10 feet from the surface in loose rock strata.
Would love to know what it is and what animal it is from.
 

Attachments

  • 1-19-11 001.webp
    1-19-11 001.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 710
  • 1-19-11 002.webp
    1-19-11 002.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 1-19-11 003.webp
    1-19-11 003.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 704
  • 1-19-11 004.webp
    1-19-11 004.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 696
Good point bigcyprusshunter. Maybe I should have said it's a Canadian Stripped Badger claw?



<<Dont google that, they don't exist>>


It's a bear claw.
 
Upvote 0
CanadianTrout said:
It's a bear claw.
Are you pulling names out of a hat? :D
 

Attachments

  • bear clawssize.webp
    bear clawssize.webp
    6 KB · Views: 380
  • bear claws.webp
    bear claws.webp
    1.4 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
CanadianTrout said:
It's a bear claw.
Are you pulling names out of a hat? :D

Ok ok busted! I do believe (for some reason?) it is more of a claw than a tooth. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
 
Upvote 0
Whatever it is, it doesnt have much of a curve. It also doesnt seem very sharp.
 
Upvote 0
it's not sharp because of the creature eating, metal detecting equipment. If I was the finder of that, I'd stay away from that area...... :dontknow:......NGE
 
Upvote 0
Its gotta be a pigs tooth. green check it ffs :icon_profileleft:
 
Upvote 0
I say its not a Wild Boar tusk but when I say that I didnt consider the Javelina which is not really a pig but a member of the Peccary family. Is anyone familiar with these pig-like animals? A search reveals you have them in Clovis, New Mexico. Its a better guess than the Canadian Striped desert Badger LOL. :wink: Did I get it? :D

ADDED: I just realized Monty got it first. :-[ :icon_thumright: I think its got a chance.
 

Attachments

  • javalina-headmount_resize.webp
    javalina-headmount_resize.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,798
Upvote 0
Well, I used to work at a world known taxidermists shop and have looked at a lot of javelina and boar teeth and none resemble this one. Long, white, and kinda sharp are the only similarities. Javelina teeth still have a worn flat cusp on one side like boar teeth, only less pronounced. JMO
 
Upvote 0
Look very closely at the edges. If there are tiny projections, it's most likely water-based and most likely a tooth.

And just some mammal tooth biology, the nerve canal in a tooth runs in the root. It branches out in the pulp of the tooth and is below the enamel and dentin. The tooth root is attach to the gum by ligaments.

Just something to consider.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
At least you got a healthy sense of humour bigcypresshunter. Me likes!

Those fangy front teeth on that pic of the mutant pig looks like a close match to me. I respectfully bow out of this conversation...
 
Upvote 0
CanadianTrout said:
At least you got a healthy sense of humour bigcypresshunter. Me likes!
Thanks for not getting upset. 8) Yes Im just joking around. We may never know what it is without examining it in person.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom