Can tell this will be a forever-favorite agate...

ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been cramming as much as I can learn about agates lately and have fallen in love with them like apparently most people. I *think* I'm finding quite a few but with the limited equipment I have currently I can't always crack them open to make sure they're agates or not. However, on my hunt yesterday, I found one that is so river-tumbled that it's just a perfect display as-is, and I have been dying to share.

I like life in macro, and while I enjoy large quantities of things I like, I still find more to appreciate when I see something done in absolute perfection at a much smaller scale than average, so this particular agate is going to be forever a fave of mine. There are so many details and various patterns, each side showing a different design, and the natural tumbled state has perfectly preserved it, but this stone is less than 1 inch in its greatest dimension!

I apologize if this is just a newbie gushing over a trivial find that others have multiples of already... Hope that even if it's a cliched object, you'll enjoy seeing it. :)

Found: Central Wisconsin / Low Creek Bed
Ruler shown = inches
Natural "tumbled," moistened w/ water for photos & plan on polishing in natural state to produce same effect.
IMG_3559-001.JPG IMG_3547-001.JPG IMG_3550-001.JPG IMG_3552-001.JPG IMG_3556-001.JPG IMG_3560-001.JPG IMG_3563-001.JPG IMG_3565-001.JPG

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome rock. Ever think about maybe keeping it in oil? Tumbling may cause it to loose that oily sheen that it has. Im not expert but its my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep any chalcedony away from oil, colouring agents etc. They are somewhat porous and can be dyed and oiled.
(lots of agates from brazil are dyed)

It is better IMO to either cut and polish one side (for display) or just let it be. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScribbleMuse

ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that I'm not going to tumble it at all, leaving it naturally "river tumbled" since I think nature did a much better job than I could have thought of.

"Polish" probably wasn't the correct term to use in my post, b/c I just meant whatever step it is that leaves tumbled things shiny and wet appearing. I'm thinking that this would be a good candidate for some simple jewelry for myself so that I can wear it out without damaging it by keeping it in a pocket, etc. What about a coat of something clear, like enamel?

I definitely love it just the way it is, and would like to preserve it as such; each side seems to display some sort of variation that I'd normally be pleased to see in a large display specimen and I find it somehow makes me simply happy and content. :D

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool! Im going to be moving to the LaCross/ Prarie Du Chein area the first of September and can't wait to find some nice agates for my collection!!

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
You might thing about putting a small hole in it for a chain to go through.
It would make a nice pendant or necklace.
Agate is pretty hard and doesn't need protection.
That glassy sheen you see on the tumbled rocks is from the very fine final grit.
Mother nature does a good job of polishing but doesn't change her grit very often.
Check out vibratory rock polishers. This type keeps the original shape of the rock instead of turning it into a jelly bean.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread