What's new

Can you get sick privy digging?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2012
Messages
1,542
Reaction score
314
Golden Thread
0
Location
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Always been a thought.. since your digging through 100+ years of feces and urine, can you get ill or something like that from it? I know its a noob question but it's always been a thought of mine.
 
I tried diggin through one last week, problem was getting through all the toilet paper/debris, not to mention all that darn blue water, that stuff stains clothes bad
 
What you have to watch out for are the chemicals used to kill the odor, Lime and lye. Frank
 

Attachments

  • hand print-2_edited-5.webp
    hand print-2_edited-5.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,239
Yes, I've spoken to someone here's been privy digging for 15years now. Google "digging privies in New Orleans". I also know he's done youtube vids. Does very well.
Ray
 
Last edited:
cjon455 said:
I tried diggin through one last week, problem was getting through all the toilet paper/debris, not to mention all that darn blue water, that stuff stains clothes bad

Been there

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
not to mention the heat in those little plastic things is unbearable
 
Last edited:
No, these people are giving you a hard time. There is nothing down there that should harm you. Just dig away, watch for broken bottles or things like nails and you should be fine. Something that old is basically harmless...Have fun Mr. S and good hunting.
 
No, these people are giving you a hard time. There is nothing down there that should harm you. Just dig away, watch for broken bottles or things like nails and you should be fine. Something that old is basically harmless...Have fun Mr. S and good hunting.

Thank you. To the others, the sarcasm and trolling was not needed. I asked a genuine question since this is a treasure forum to help each other out. Sorry that i haven't been doing this for years like you guys have. You were in my shoes once.
 
Human waste tends to turn to clay after being buried for so long.at least that what the archs said in the book The Great Warpath British military sites from Albany to Crown Point.
 
Thank you. To the others, the sarcasm and trolling was not needed. I asked a genuine question since this is a treasure forum to help each other out. Sorry that i haven't been doing this for years like you guys have. You were in my shoes once.
Very true Mrshulz. Sorry, I'll try to retract/delete now.
Ray
 
First, I can't see. I can't see my ass going to work. Then I call into work, and say I am sick, and I wont be in to work. Then I hit the privy with some friends and work and work until we all end up with a case of brown bottle flu. Such is the bottle bug.
 
The waste broken down enough after decades of not being used to richer earth. Consider though where someone may have discarded unwanted poisons/chemicals and take reasonable precautions. Safety digging holes sounds over cautious but a partner or someone knowing where you are could help in a pinch. Been some very noteworthy finds out of them.
 
Last edited:
I was serious, if you get it on your gloves dont wipe your face or mouth you could still catch a ton of parasites. Dont believe me then try it
 
actually i was just being sarcastic, its in my nature to be. wasnt aiming to offend anyone......
 
I was serious, if you get it on your gloves dont wipe your face or mouth you could still catch a ton of parasites. Dont believe me then try it
That's a common sense thing... I would hope.
Kind of like, don't eat the yellow snow.
 
All i can tell you is every summer up in our cabin in Canada i clean out the out house.... And never got sick from it yet........ And it gets full every year...... As for hunting in what comes out of the out house or privy as you call it ....Never did just got rid of it....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom