FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As most of you know when water hunting you get sand under your coil cover and in turn that can make your machine give false signals.

I know some of you epoxy the bottom, but when I emailed the factory I was told that they recommend silicone, and that epoxy would void the warranty.

So how important is that cover? I have heard of people taking the cover off and just hunting that way for years without any problems.

What your opinion on this I am curious?

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
depends, on land you can see where you're swinging, under water that rock will jump out and bite your coil and then poof, one dead coil

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you will be touching the bottom most of the time, wear on the coil is bound to happen and coils are expensive. Suggest you stick with the cover and not use silicone sealant to cover the gap around the cover as a small crack is all it takes to suck in black sand. Just use duct tape to hold the coil on so it will be easy to remove an clean it out. Epoxy is great, but it voids the warranty and cuts down on resale value to some buyers.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one in the water or on a sandy beach that is free of rocks and shells. I haven't seen any wear on my coils as a result.

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
Bill - I use one wire tie in the front of the coil and it's easy to rinse the sand out by just pulling the bottom loose and dunking it in the barrel of fresh water, works for me - Cavedweller

Attachments

• DSC00806.JPG
    DSC00806.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC00807.JPG
    DSC00807.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 266

LS hunter

May 13, 2008
LOUISIANA
Detector(s) used
WHITES V3...
Cavedweller said:
Bill - I use one wire tie in the front of the coil and it's easy to rinse the sand out by just pulling the bottom loose and dunking it in the barrel of fresh water, works for me - Cavedweller
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE COIL MINE IS LOSE IT WONT TITEN UP ANY MORE!!!!

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
LS hunter : Do you mean it is loose from the lower shaft, If so take the plastic screw out and take the rubber washers out and cut some old innertube to the same size as the washer and put that thin material behind the washer and put it all back together and you may only need to do it on one side ,
don't force it together and you may need to use really thin material like plastic from an old milk bottle
just to make it hold better and you may need to replace the screw too - Cavedweller

OP
OP
FloridaBill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what he means? He shouldn't have to do anything, he just got that machine and it's brand new....

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
I like the coil cover.Those poured coils can crack along the edges if you
bump something or clip a rock.I did what the factory said.Put the cover
on,and use a bathtub caulk to seal the edge.I also use the cable ties to
assure the cover doesn't move.Rub the caulk along and into the edge/
crack,and use a wet cloth to clean around it .Leaves a nice neat line.Keeps
out the black sand and small iron particals that are at some beaches.HH Joe

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several detectors with out coil covers and they seem OK for now. However that is because I hardly use them. I have worn out a coil and several covers on my old compus 77. I also use an acer 300 with no cover. And yes sand gets in the cover and messes up the signal if it is black sand, simply dump it out. Bottom line---GET A COIL COVER if you plan to do a lot of searching! It will save you buying a new coil.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I am with Joe....

I'd use common cheapo painter's latex caulk to glue on a loose coil cover.

Don't force it way down in the crack where it's hard to get out...

A bead of caulk, smoothed over with a wet finger will keep sand and stuff out for a while.

Then, if signals become erratic, or there is falsing, it's easy enough to remove by rubbing with your thumb.

You can clean everything up and do it again.

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread