What's new

Can you ID this key?

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I found this key in the cellar of a pre-civil war home. It was buried about 5 inches in the cellar area. The house appears to have been built around 1810. Not sure how old this key is, but I know it's pretty old. Appears to be to a jewelery box or safe box maybe. Can you help me by telling me the type of key and date range? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • key1.webp
    key1.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 328
  • key2.webp
    key2.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 331
  • key3.webp
    key3.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 336
No idea, sorry...But it is no doubt old...Someone will chime in here. In the mean time, go look for the strong box buried in that cellar hole! :tongue3: jgas
 
Upvote 0
I tried but it started raining again so had to stop. There was some thick glass bottles buried in it with bubbles in the glass and all. Apparently the home site burned down must have been made out of wood as a top of it, because I found lots of melted glass. I've been picking out lots of old handmade bricks made from clay from the cellar. That strongbox has to be there somewhere!
 
Upvote 0
I agree cabinet, desk, or chest key.
 
Upvote 0
Might be cabinet key to late 1800's European Singer Sewing Machine. Just a guess since these keys are used in Jewelry cabinets/boxes also.

Picture, Bottom Row: Two round shaft sewing machine keys that have hollow ends, for European cases.
 

Attachments

  • keys.webp
    keys.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0
Can you help me find the key style I found? It's a barrel key no doubt, but the head of it is odd. I believe if we can match, we'd learn more about it.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom