Can you remove things from a river in Texas ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And also: This all rests of a supposed premise of "everyone reviles us" . And "everyone's watching us" and will scrutinize us, blah blah. Why this opening premise ?

The average passerby cares less. So why this notion ? In fact, it's just the opposite : People who pass by will often ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and "how deep does it go" and "where can I buy one of those". So why this starting premise that seems to suppose that we're doing something wrong ? Since when ? If we start with that premise, then sure : It merely becomes a self-fulfilling vicious loop. So why this starting premise ?

Me thinks it's like shark-attack psychology : A million people per day swim without incident. But the moment someone gets bit, guess what makes the next day's headlines ? In the same way : The minute ANY story of a "permit" arises. Or ANY story of a "scram" is posted, then presto: People think they need express blessings "lest they get in trouble". When the reality is, the average passerby probably cares less, nor would ever have cared. And : Best left that way. JMHO.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And also: This all rests of a supposed premise of "everyone reviles us" . And "everyone's watching us" and will scrutinize us, blah blah. Why this opening premise ?

The average passerby cares less. So why this notion ? In fact, it's just the opposite : People who pass by will often ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and "how deep does it go" and "where can I buy one of those". So why this starting premise that seems to suppose that we're doing something wrong ? Since when ? If we start with that premise, then sure : It merely becomes a self-fulfilling vicious loop. So why this starting premise ?

Me thinks it's like shark-attack psychology : A million people per day swim without incident. But the moment someone gets bit, guess what makes the next day's headlines ? In the same way : The minute ANY story of a "permit" arises. Or ANY story of a "scram" is posted, then presto: People think they need express blessings "lest they get in trouble". When the reality is, the average passerby probably cares less, nor would ever have cared. And : Best left that way. JMHO.
We are a website for treasure hunting the purpose of our forum is for people to share knowledge, finds and to ask questions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
We are a website for treasure hunting the purpose of our forum is for people to share knowledge, finds and to ask questions.
Correct. And for others to give their stabs/opinions @ the answers to those questions. Right ? :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. And for others to give their stabs/opinions @ the answers to those questions. Right ? :dontknow:
As long as they are not telling or encouraging members to break the law.

A word to the wise, we have been down this road before, we are not going down it again....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
As long as they are not telling or encouraging members to break the law.

A word to the wise, we have been down this road before, we are not going down it again....
TH'r , I know you are doing your job. And I don't envy that job one-bit.

But please do tell me : In this case, encouraging someone to look up laws-for-themselves : Just curious how that is "encouraging them to break laws". If anything, wouldn't that be the exact opposite ? :dontknow: What could be more law-abiding than that ? ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH'r , I know you are doing your job. And I don't envy that job one-bit.

But please do tell me : In this case, encouraging someone to look up laws-for-themselves : Just curious how that is "encouraging them to break laws". If anything, wouldn't that be the exact opposite ? :dontknow: What could be more law-abiding than that ? ???
I have already said we are not going down this road again...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,I believe the OP was asking about removing items from a river,large,heavy items,a locomotive cab I believe.That,s a long way from metal detecting or casual looking for artifacts.If he pursues this,I believe it would take large equipment to do the job.I,m not going to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin with you,I agree that in most cases regs are available on line.My interpretation of those regs may not be what the enforcing entity,s interpretation is.If I have a question as to that interpretation I,m going to have it made clear before I engage in my endeavor,whether it be MD,ing or prospecting or what.I do not want to find myself on the wrong side of a judges bench.You are a free American citizen,do as you please,I,m in no way trying to change your mind or your habits.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Texas, I would like to remove two large railroad pieces out of my local river where a railroad bridge once stood. This is on public property and state property, a navigable river. One piece is what I believe to be the roof of the cab of a steam locomotive and the other, a part of the old bridge. Of course, this isn’t the same as picking up a bottle and taking it. The process of removing these pieces and loading them, could possibly cause attention. I would like to be prepared to ensure whom may ask to what of which I am doing, that this is legally acceptable.
View attachment 1934884
View attachment 1934885
View attachment 1934886
Looks to me like it’s okay.
In my way of thinking your asking people that may or may not agree with your wants. If i wanted to know i would ask a lawyer

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might also add SOME times it is easier to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission !!

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5D07F2F7-DCB3-40EC-97E8-606D62A4803A.gif

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen. Better safe than sorry. I have a feeling the answer will be no UNLESS there is some obvious advantage for them.
He,s not talking about skimming a metal detector over the ground or panning a few scoops of sand. A locomotive cab will require big equipment to remove from a river.No way to do that on the QT. The people who regulate that ain,t gonna look kindly at a free lance, no permit,no ask operation of that size in a public body of water.It,s a piss poor reflection on society these days,I,ll agree,but that ain,t gonna fly when the guy with the badge asks what the hell you think you,re doing.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He,s not talking about skimming a metal detector over the ground or panning a few scoops of sand. A locomotive cab will require big equipment to remove from a river.No way to do that on the QT. The people who regulate that ain,t gonna look kindly at a free lance, no permit,no ask operation of that size in a public body of water.It,s a piss poor reflection on society these days,I,ll agree,but that ain,t gonna fly when the guy with the badge asks what the hell you think you,re doing.
You are exactly right.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exactly
It’s pay to play. Calculate your dredge and fill fees, write a check and you too can yank garbage outa the river using the same methods legally. It’s all about sustaining a perpetual system of permitting. Maybe plant three trees and inspect and report on them for three years and your good to go.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Texas, I would like to remove two large railroad pieces out of my local river where a railroad bridge once stood. This is on public property and state property, a navigable river. One piece is what I believe to be the roof of the cab of a steam locomotive and the other, a part of the old bridge. Of course, this isn’t the same as picking up a bottle and taking it. The process of removing these pieces and loading them, could possibly cause attention. I would like to be prepared to ensure whom may ask to what of which I am doing, that this is legally acceptable.
View attachment 1934884
View attachment 1934885
View attachment 1934886
Looks to me like it’s okay.
TxBottleDigger If you want to be safe ASK A lawyer in your state . If someone on here answers you wrong you could be the one PAYING THE PRICE !!! BE CAUTIOUS and find out for sure
'

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me say this "If i ask a lawyer and i get a signed statement from the lawyer telling me I am safe and something happens I have a course of action against the lawyer.
If i ask a person that works for the controlled place and ONLY have his word what action can ik take when i get arrested ?> LOL

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always trying to cover my fanny

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me say this "If i ask a lawyer and i get a signed statement from the lawyer telling me I am safe and something happens I have a course of action against the lawyer.
If i ask a person that works for the controlled place and ONLY have his word what action can ik take when i get arrested ?> LOL
Wise words! Common sense can go a long way too.Any one who has even a small knowledge of environmental doings in today,s world would know that if you roll up to a river on public land with enough heavy equipment to clear a medium size forest,things are not likely to go well for you unless you have all the required permits and permissions from all the proper bureaucrats. I don,t like it,but I don,t like jail and huge fines either.Cover your arse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread