Canadian Penny Search

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I went to Windsor, ON on Jan. 2, and went from bank to bank picking up as many pennies as I could.

$135 in CWR pennies
George V: 1932 :headbang:

George VI: 1940, 1941x2, 1942x2, 1943, 1944, 1945x3, 1946x3, 1947x2, 1947MLx4, 1948, 1950x4, 1951x6, 1952x2
Elizabeth II: 1953x3, 1955x3, 1956x5, 1957x13, 1958x4, 1959x9,
1960-4 x144
1965-79 x1362 (9.7 lbs)

Wheats: 1919, 1940-9 x13, 1950-8 x7

Likely my last Canadian penny hurrah!

Upvote 0
Great snag! For $hits and giggles I usually grab a couple large cents at the LCS for a buck whenever I'm there.

Don't pay any attention to these guys, MIhunter. They should be searching rolls instead of flaming posts on technicalities.

If education is the goal, the official national term for the coin is "one-cent piece" or "1-cent piece".
Penny: 1 cent
Let's try to be supportive in this hobby.

Last edited:
Just a cent as I see it. United states has cent pieces great Britain has a penny or a pence meaning one hundredth of a British pound

The grammar Nazi's cousin - - - The nomenclature nut.

If education is the goal, the official national term for the coin is "one-cent piece" or "1-cent piece".
Penny: 1 cent
Let's try to be supportive in this hobby.

I read the link and it said cent or cent coin except for the article about phasing out the penny, which was obviously not written and released by their mint. Just like ours it is a cent. No flaming, just as a long time collector hate seeing people use the wrong terminology. To argue our point is to confess to not be willing to learn the CORRECT terminology.
HH
enamel7

I didn't mean to come off as combative on someone else's thread. Neither did I mean to look like a terminology-nazi. I just didn't feel like the comments were very supportive of educating one another. I haven't been collecting as long as most members of this site, and understand why some would like to hear the proper terminology. I absolutely use this site to further my knowledge of numismatics, and have learned a lot from member's posts. Penny is a universal term, and I don't think too many people are confused between the difference of penny and cent. I'm sure MIhunter knows the difference. If the correction was stated for other people looking at the thread, then alright.

I'm very new to collecting and hunting. "I" did not know the difference a few weeks ago. Every one I talk to are work or in the banks I go to did not know the difference. Just saying. Happy hunting

I didn't mean to come off as combative on someone else's thread. Neither did I mean to look like a terminology-nazi. I just didn't feel like the comments were very supportive of educating one another. I haven't been collecting as long as most members of this site, and understand why some would like to hear the proper terminology. I absolutely use this site to further my knowledge of numismatics, and have learned a lot from member's posts. Penny is a universal term, and I don't think too many people are confused between the difference of penny and cent. I'm sure MIhunter knows the difference. If the correction was stated for other people looking at the thread, then alright.

It's like speaking in a different accent. People will understand you, but you should still try to speak English better.

Penny is the commonly used term for both the American and Canadian one cent. The correct term is the one written on the coin (one cent). I would never ask a teller for a box of 1 cent coins, I think that he or she would stare at me.
Nickel is also slang, the correct term is five cents. The difference between penny and one cent would likely fade away when/if the US retires the one cent/penny

hey MIhunter cant you melt canadian copper in the u.s. you could make a lot of money with this

Penny is the commonly used term for both the American and Canadian one cent. The correct term is the one written on the coin (one cent). I would never ask a teller for a box of 1 cent coins, I think that he or she would stare at me.
Nickel is also slang, the correct term is five cents. The difference between penny and one cent would likely fade away when/if the US retires the one cent/penny

I would ask for a box of cents. It's short for one cent coin. Penny is not short for cent, its a word in itself that is used to describe a similar coin in mainly Commonwealth countries.

hey MIhunter cant you melt canadian copper in the u.s. you could make a lot of money with this

Canada says it's illegal to melt cents, but the US could care less about Canadian cents.

To error is human. To be correct is devine.

andy-devine.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back