✅ SOLVED Cannonball Identification Help Please

ScottVid

Feb 11, 2020
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,
I bought a box of five of these "cannonballs" from an estate that had a number of civil war items. So, I'm hoping that they are indeed civil war cannonballs. They weight 3 pounds 10.9 ounces and measure 9-5/8 inches around the center. I'm attaching some pictures. Is there any more information needed? Thank you so much for looking at this. All the best, Scott

IMG_7988.JPG IMG_7989.JPG IMG_7990.JPG IMG_7991.JPG IMG_7992.JPG IMG_7993.JPG

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I thought as well I hope were wrong are there any holes for a fuse or is it smooth all the way around

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thinking grape shot look up cannonball dimensions. Should be able to find it. It has precise measurements and weights

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ScottVid, as my member-name indicates, my specialty area of relic study is Historical (pre-20th-Century) artillery projectiles. I co-wrote a very detailed educational article on how to tell with certainty whether or not an iron ball is actually an artillery ball.
http://www.pochefamily.org/books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html

First of all, I should mention that unlike civil war era artillery balls, many Revolutionary War era artillery balls did have a very-visible casting-mold seam. BUT, so do many Civilian-usage balls, such as the Mill-Balls mentioned by Mirage83. Thus, the presence of a mold-seam on a ball MAY OR MAY NOT be a "disqualifier"

Because multi-millions of round and round-ish iron balls have been manufactured for strictly Civilian industrial (and ornamental) purposes, we cannonball collectors rely on the historical Ordnance Department records to tell us which sizes of balls are artillery balls and which are Civilian-usage balls.
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

As the super-precise diameter & weight measurements (called the "Shot Tables" in the US Army Ordnance Manual of 1861) at the link above show, here are the only artillery balls which are even "close" to your 3-pound 10.9-ounce balls:
3 pounds 1 ounce, a 3-Pounder caliber Solid-Shot cannonball (2.84"-diamter)
3 pounds 2.5 ounces, a 32-Pounder caliber Grape-Shot ball (2.87-.89"-diameter)
3 pounds 10.9 ounces, your balls
4 pounds 1 ounce, a 4-Pounder caliber Solid-Shot cannonball (3.12"-diameter)

Note the very-exact diameter of the actual artillery balls in the data above. Yours are 3.06-inch in diameter (9 & 5/8th-inch circumference divided by 3.1416 equals 3.06-inches). The size data in the Shot Tables (given above) is for civil war era artillery balls... but Revolutionary War era balls were a few hundredths-of-an-inch smaller. So yours, at 3.06-inch diameter, are within the "margin of tolerance" to be a RevWar era 4-Pounder Solid-Shot. The original weight of your cast-iron balls was reduced a few ounces by a type of corrosion called Graphitization, which can occur during 200+ years of burial in "swampy/marshy ground." From studying battlefield-dug cannonballs for over 40 years, I recognize the grey-ish appearance of your excavated-&-cleaned cannonballs as showing Graphitization corrosion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The following is intended only as friendly educational advice. The photo posted by Kray Gelder shows what is known as a Stand Of Grapeshot, not Canister ammo. Canister, as its name implies, was an iron sheetmetal can (a "tin can") filled with dozens of iron balls.

In addition to a Stand Of Grapehot, there was another version, called Quilted Grapehot. The name "Quilted" came from the look of the canvas fabric wrapping being held in place by a wire mesh, giving it the look of a quilt.

The photos below (some may not be in the order listed) show:
Canister, 4.62"-caliber, excavated condition, can is corroded open, revealing some of the dozens of balls inside.
Canister, 4.62"-caliber, non-dug condition, can's soldered seam has separated, showing balls inside.
Quilted Grapeshot, 3.25"-caliber, non-excavated condition, showing original canvas with wire wrapping.
Quilted Grapeshot, 9"-caliber, non-excavated condition, Navy version, showing original canvas with twine wrapping.
Stand Of Grape, 6.4"-caliber, unfired, excavated condition (cleaned).

Attachments

• shell_canister_REBUILT-FROM-PIECES_TN_postedbyCSA2K_arty_06_canister01.jpg
    shell_canister_REBUILT-FROM-PIECES_TN_postedbyCSA2K_arty_06_canister01.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 115
  • shell_QuiltedGrapeshot_woodenbase_nondug_orig (2).jpg
    shell_QuiltedGrapeshot_woodenbase_nondug_orig (2).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 67
  • canister_12pounder_NONDUG_openview_ebay_57004_1_md.jpg
    canister_12pounder_NONDUG_openview_ebay_57004_1_md.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 67
  • shell_grapeshot_quilted-grapeshot_9inch-caliber_US-Navy.jpg
    shell_grapeshot_quilted-grapeshot_9inch-caliber_US-Navy.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 90
  • grapeshot_stand_complete_32_1163000816087s.jpg
    grapeshot_stand_complete_32_1163000816087s.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

ScottVid

Feb 11, 2020
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Thank you all for the great information. I take it that I should not wash this cannonball so I don't remove the "Graphitization corrosion." Is that correct? Any other tips on preserving these balls and any other things that I should know. Again thank you all for the wonderful kind help you have given me. Scott

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you made a great investment with your estate sale purchase Scott. :thumbsup:

If I were you, I would print both of TheCannonballGuy’s posts here and include these with the cannonballs.
This is exactly the kind of background information that future collectors will want to know. :award_star_gold_1:

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread