Cannonball? Live?

Ne1441

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3853.JPG IMG_3856.JPG

Hello all,

I know there are a few experts here on this subject so I'm hoping one can give a little insight. I found this a few years ago while cleaning out an apartment of an evicted tenant. My first thought was it could be a cannonball but the "holes" didn't make any sense to me. I didn't put much thought in it and just put it on a shelf because I thought it was interesting either way. So this morning I decided to try to find more information and have now learned that some cannonballs are in fact filled with explosives and capped off. The ball I have is 5 pounds 10 1/4 oz and 3 1/2" diameter. There is a hole on one side that is 5/8" diameter and possibly a second hole opposite of the first one that is 1/8". Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Brian

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
certainly looks like one to me, but I'm no expert by any means. I'm sure it would be helpful to those in the know if they knew if there had been any war activity in your area

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Ne1441

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Green Bay WI but I can't say that it is from the area. I don't have any knowledge of the tenant that left it or how she acquired it.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
send a pm to cannonballguy with a link to this page and see what he has to say

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the second hole was to flush the powder out. I would run water in it and see. It looks to be a cannon ball.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Ne1441

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was that if is indeed a second hole that maybe it has been drilled to decommission it and the filled.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ball's diameter-to-weight ratio is very close to proving it is a solid object, not hollow. Is your measurement of the ball's diameter (3.50-inches) precisely accurate? I'm asking because a civil war era Solid Shot cannonball which is 3.58-inches in diameter weighs 6 pounds 1 ounce... or sometimes a few ounces less due to casting-flaw airbubbles trapped inside the cast iron. That is very close to you ball's weight and diameter.

Please use a digital caliper to check your ball's diameter in hundredths-of-an-inch, and tell us what it is. If it's really 3.50-inches it is not a cannonball.
www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Ne1441

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response. I'll try to find a digital caliper to use. I used a woodworking clamp like a caliper and then measured the opening. I will say that it's not perfectly round. There were areas that were slightly over 3 1/2". Is there any chance by your opinion that this could be live? Is the larger "hole" just from casting?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since you say the ball is out-of-round, it is definitely not a cannonball... nor a grenade. As I said previously, it is solid, not hollow. Therefore, it cannot be "live."

For Lockster99:
Sports Shot-Put balls are carefully manufactured to weight an exactly-even amount of full pounds (such as 12.00 pounds, or 16.00 pounds)... or kilograms (such as 4.00 kilograms, etc). Because this ball's weight is nowhere close to __ pounds zero ounces (or __ point-zero kilograms) it is definitely not a Shot Put.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Ne1441

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the direct response. My only goal here was to make sure I don't have anything explosive sitting on my shelf. I know too many firefighters for that type of risk. Thank you again for the clarification.

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ROMAN BOWLING BALL FOR IRON TEN PIN GAMES ....

Upvote 0

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit it with a hammer..if we don't hear back from you..we'll know it was live...just kidding of course..
happy hunting..
OWG...

Upvote 0

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cannon your always on top of these things . Hope all is well

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not so; many shells had two holes.

Have any pictures?:laughing9:An exploding projectile having more than 2 holes is self defeating,in order for a ball to explode pressure has to build up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread