OP
Magoopeter

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry I have no more information to share just now, the date is spot on from the information I have and also ties in with the ceramics. Thanks for all the information,

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I have no more information to share just now, the date is spot on from the information I have and also ties in with the ceramics. Thanks for all the information,
With all respect i really doubt its from a original shipreck from that period, these cannons were often reused for many years, to encounter cannons, ceramics or even coins does not mean its a original shipreck, these kind of things were often reused.

OP
OP
Magoopeter

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
With all respect i really doubt its from a original shipreck from that period, these cannons were often reused for many years, to encounter cannons, ceramics or even coins does not mean its a original shipreck, these kind of things were often reused.
I agree I have found that to be the case on all the shipwreck I have excavated, in this case the cargo indicates early 16th century , with cannons being made before 1540, notice the larger cannon has lifting rings, the Royal crest and navel armillary are cast near to the muzzle end, later cannons had dolphins cast as lifting points and the crest were cast to the rear of the cannon. Manuel I of Portugal died in 1521.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Dating Portuguese guns is difficult because they continued using features like lifting rings still being used on guns cast as late as 1594. The Armillary sphere continued in use after the death of Manuel. You will still find it on guns cast in the 1550s. And they continued to place the arms on the chase rather than on the reinforce until the reign of King Sebastien.

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thats true but sometimes they have the place or even the maker of the casting and with that we can date it because we know the portuguese makers.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
This one does seem to have the letters to identify a maker, but that characteristic itself is also indicative of a date later than the first quarter of the 16th century.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread