mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Canon A540, and, today, bought a bigger memory chip for it. 4 GB.

I have lots of cameras, but I am not a digital-type person.

Changed the memory - and now it's locked. Yes - I checked that little thing that locks and unlocks it, I've tried the tape trick.

Now I'm stumped. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

One thing - I've always used SD memory chips - this one is SDHC - it says its compatible with all cameras - but, is it possible it is not compatible and that's the problem?

B

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Canon A540

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a540.html

Most cameras made after 3Q 2006 support SDHC but the majority of the currently available external card readers) DO NOT - consult your user manual or manufacturer's web site before purchasing a SDHC card for your camera, camcorder, netbook or MP3 player. Many manufacturers provide downloadable firmware updates for their cameras and are adding SDHC support."

Steve's review on your camera and my S3 does not specifically say it accepts SDHC on your camera. Have you put the old memory card back in and see if it then works?

After reading some, it might be your camera is not compatible with the new SDHC card, I might be in the same boat with my 2006 model Canon S3IS, which I was thinking of putting the 4gb card I just got with a new Canon A590 into the S3, but perhaps it is not compatible also.
(the price of progress :-\

Don

OP
OP
mrs.oroblanco

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Canon A540

Thanks for the reply, Don,

I ended up going to a camera shop (just a yesterday, in fact). Found out that if I wanted to use the SDHC with my camera, I had to have the memory chip that had a smaller chip that goes inside of it.

Yes - my old one was still working - so I figured it wasn't the camera, but apparently, it can only handle the sdhc if I get a mini that inserts into the regular size chip adapter

It's working now ;D

Looks kind of like this:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/101417681/Patriot_8gb_Minisd_Memory_Card_Sdhc_Class_6.jpg

Thanks.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread