Cape Cod Arrow Heads ? Indian artifacts?

Beachrock

Aug 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these while walking on the beach with my young son. I think they might be arrowheads? The other rocks seemed unusual not sure if they are Indian related. We went to the library and have been reading about Indian artifacts. Any information is greatly appreciated. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white one and the one next to it are artifacts .... They look very worn from being in the water for a long time. The other one can't tell for sure but looks natural

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site Beachrock. Glad to hear you and your son are walking and finding artifacts together. You can never start them to early.

The white one on the far left and the one in the middle are definitely Arrowheads and the one in the middle may actually be very old and Clovis related. The other piece in the picture of the three could be a very highly eroded and polished Stemmed Point. I have seen some come from the beaches that have all of the flake scars polished off by the wave and sand action. In your last picture, the black piece in the far left bottom corner looks to be another Stemmed Point. The rest of the items looks natural. Great looking finds. I would check that stretch of beach regularly because I am sure more will be become exposed.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with Grim. I just checked with a friend, who edited our New England projectile point typology guide, available from the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, and he agreed with me that the middle point in the first photo is an old one for certain. That's Paleo. We have a number of varieties of what are termed "fluted points" in New England that are local variations on that theme. That one in particular is a killer find. It may be Late Paleo, and not a true fluted point, but it's likely at least 11,000-12,000 years calendar years before present(CYBP).

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim is right on spot, but I wonder about the quartz round stone. What is the size to it and I know that quartz can be worn down to a round shape by wave action, but it looks nice:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
B

Beachrock

Aug 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The white round rock really stuck out on the beach I haven't seen one like that and I attached a picture of what looks like a dog or bear rock? Maybe we just have an active imagination. The white ball is the size of maybe a really big golf ball.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also, from your first photo, the white point appears to best match a type known as Neville Variant, a rare type of the Neville Complex of point types. It dates to the Middle Archaic, and is roughly in the 8700-9000 calendar years before present range. Probably made of rhyolite. The Paleo point in the middle of the first photo is made of Marblehead Rhyolite.
I have hunted New England beaches for several decades now. You obviously have found a good spot, and finding a Paleo era point is the best beginner's luck you can ask for, IMHO......

Note: yes, the "dog" rock is natural, not an effigy.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great couple of finds and great IDs by the members. Coastal New England has a great many points to be found but I always wondered why they needed them. Was it just because the coastal areas were densly populated by natives? Were they defensive war weapons? There were shellfish and finfish galore and neither would involve the use of points. For anyone who visits the Montauk lighthouse (Long Island NY) it has a great collection of artifacts which were found while building the light.
HH
dts

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that black cylinder is a carbon graphite rod from an old battery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread