Capped Bust Half Dime, Spanish Silver, Coppers, Buttons, Etc.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a productive weekend of detecting. This is my first Bust silver, so I'm pretty happy with the find. Finds ranged from 18th century to modern. Lots of musket balls and what I believe is a bullet wormer?

Wondering if anyone would know the date range of the one-piece button with the 2 holes near the shank. There is no design on the front. Also, what is the significance of the musket ball with the hole drilled through? Would it have served a purpose?

The 2 pewter buttons have definitely seen better days. The ground wasn't too kind on the coppers or anything else for that matter. The coppers are all toasted.

Attachments

• Capped Obverse.jpg
    Capped Obverse.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Capped Reverse.jpg
    Capped Reverse.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Ferdinand VII.jpg
    Ferdinand VII.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Ferdinand VII Reverse.jpg
    Ferdinand VII Reverse.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Pewter Buttons.jpg
    Pewter Buttons.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Pewter Buttons Back.jpg
    Pewter Buttons Back.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 2 Holed Button.jpg
    2 Holed Button.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Holed Musket Ball.jpg
    Holed Musket Ball.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Bullet Wormer.jpg
    Bullet Wormer.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 995
Upvote 0
Nice bunch of finds, the coins are a welcome find any time. The early silver is so interesting, loosing a coin was a great hard ship, copper was hard to come by then silver. We can't imagine how hard times were.

Congrats on your 1st Capped bust and for such an awesome hunt!! :headbang: :icon_thumright:

Wow... Excellent stuff!! I think somebody back in the days needed to catch some
fish, and used a ball to make a sinker. Very cool!! :hello2:

Slab

You are right on the gun worm, you found one. You have some great finds.

That capped is stunning...what a beautiful coin!

Congrats on your 1st Bust (she's a beauty), Spanish Silver and Relics :headbang: !

TommNJ

that half dime is gorgeous!!

The capped is rock solid. And getting a 1 reale is icing to the 1/2 dime. You had one wonderful hunt to be sure.

Nice stuff!!

Nice coins and relics. By the looks of the musketballs and buttons, you are on a site that saw some military activity during the French & Indian War or the Rev War. The musketballs look to be British Brown Bess .69 caliber balls, and the blow hole buttons were used on uniforms in the French & Indian War and Rev War. I have found them on sites from both conflicts.

sweet cap!!!! MR TUFF

Some sweet finds right there, congrats!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Steve in PA said:
Nice coins and relics. By the looks of the musketballs and buttons, you are on a site that saw some military activity during the French & Indian War or the Rev War. The musketballs look to be British Brown Bess .69 caliber balls, and the blow hole buttons were used on uniforms in the French & Indian War and Rev War. I have found them on sites from both conflicts.

18th C buttons like this were Civilian as well :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back