Captian Midnight to the rescue

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently stepped up from my XLT to the Spectra V3i and here are a few finds from the last few evenings. The Barber dime and the locket were found using my XLT on this past Tuesday evening in a yard with a 2 story house dating back to about 1900. The wheaties and the Captain Midnight spinners are from this past Wednesday with the Spectra on it's maiden voyage at a small house that dates to about 1890-ish. I had only started hunting the yard with the Spectra and had made a pass along the porch and was working back the other direction when *BAM* a monster signal rang out. Everything looked good on the screen at about 4 inches so I dug a plug and re-checked the plug. It had a good reading so I break it apart and a 50 cent sized object falls out. I bursh the dirt off and see it's a Captain Midnight spinner, first one I have ever found.... cool. I recheck the hole and the signal is still there so I dig a little more and 3 more Capt Midnight spinners show up. Really cool now... I check the hole once more and still have a good signal. I dig in more and out pops 3 more spinners, giving me a total of 7 spinners in one hole. Man, what a cool find... some kid 70 years ago buried his golden treasure, only to lose their location, leaving them for me to come along to find. An interesting tie to this is, the house is currently owned by my cousin and , I'm not positive of the dates they were there, but a relative thru my dads side lived there and maybe one of their kids was the one that buried this little cache. The penies were also found at that yard after my adrenaline rush leveled off. Made for a couple interesting evening hunts. I am not down-playing the 1903 dime, as it has been a while since I have found one, but for me, the Captain Midnight cache is going to be hard to beat. Now I just need to get off my fat butt more and get out and hunt instead of sitting at my desk all day, then going home, eating supper and watching TV the rest of the evening.

Attachments

• DSCF1655.JPG
    DSCF1655.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF1656.JPG
    DSCF1656.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 583
  • DSCF1657.JPG
    DSCF1657.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF1658.JPG
    DSCF1658.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCF1659.JPG
    DSCF1659.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 596
  • DSCF1661.JPG
    DSCF1661.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, BIGTIME congrats!!! :icon_pirat:

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Nice! I had to look up who Captain Midnight was. I also found this :

http://www.otr.com/cm_premiums.shtml

"Note: An authorized replica of this medal was manufactured in the 1970s. It can be differentiated from the original by a tiny "R" inside the bottom of the Skelly logo on the reverse side."

Given the dates of the other finds, I doubt yours is from the 1970s, but thought I'd pass along the info.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty nifty finds! It looks like the original 1940 spinners are going for about $25 ea. on ebay. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
LukeTHr

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenosha Kid said:
Nice! I had to look up who Captain Midnight was. I also found this :

http://www.otr.com/cm_premiums.shtml

"Note: An authorized replica of this medal was manufactured in the 1970s. It can be differentiated from the original by a tiny "R" inside the bottom of the Skelly logo on the reverse side."

Given the dates of the other finds, I doubt yours is from the 1970s, but thought I'd pass along the info.

Thanks for the link, I will look to see if mine have the "R" on them, but I doubt they do. Looking at the different items on that page makes me think that kids in those days had so much more to make their lives exciting than kids today. These things stimulate the imagination than todays video game world

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that kid buried his treasure many years ago. That is cool! I found a 1941 captain midnight decoder badge about 3 years ago. Lots of information on the net. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• May05_08capmid[1].jpg
    May05_08capmid[1].jpg
    13 KB · Views: 218
  • May05_08capmid[1].jpg
    May05_08capmid[1].jpg
    13 KB · Views: 216

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Midnight, Awesome I still have a set of the things that came out for this. My grandfather kept them and gave the set to me.
You are lucky to have got a set of the spinners and so many .

Nice find !

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Hey LukeThr, where you from I grew up in Mcpherson Co. The Plumber. At first I thought you were my dad as his name is Luke but he has a machine made by Bounty Hunter. Great Find.

OP
OP
LukeTHr

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me a Plumber said:
Hey LukeThr, where you from I grew up in Mcpherson Co. The Plumber. At first I thought you were my dad as his name is Luke but he has a machine made by Bounty Hunter. Great Find.

I'm in Ellis county. Have a photography studio. My screen name is of an old dog from yrs back I had and of course the THr , well, we know what thats from

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread