What's new

Carp Scraper / Fish Gutter

HeavyFletch

Full Member
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
116
Reaction score
182
Golden Thread
0
Thought this was going to be a long straight knife when I pulled it out of the mud, then saw the radius in it. Have always referred to it as my carp scraper.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0311.webp
    IMG_0311.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0313.webp
    IMG_0313.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0314.webp
    IMG_0314.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0315.webp
    IMG_0315.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0316.webp
    IMG_0316.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
Carp were not native to N. Amer until the 1800`s and your piece is probably several thousand years old but you`re right it would make a great scaler for any course scaled fish, maybe fresh water Drum or Bass, also could have been used to work wood. Interesting utilitarian tool. Nice find, makes one think.
 
Carp was the first thing that came to my mind. I was not aware of their arrival at a later date :)
 
Nice find has a lot of work on it.As far as carp goes smoked or scored works for me...
 
looks like a very nice extra large side scraper very very nice
 
Thanks Larson and all for the nice comments . Think I am still going to refer to it as "carp scraper" :)
 
I have found some "bent" scrapers and points and never really did come up with a good reason/purpose for them??
Ya, the carp around here came from the Chinese originally, I love catching them, they get huge, eat anything and fight hard...way more fun than the Harbor Freight crap the Chinese send now...
 
JMO the reason your piece has a bow to it ,is it is a flake taken off of a core and it is a flake used has a knife. Nice find:icon_thumleft:
 
I agree MR......... the bend in it is the material
 
And a very nice uniface flake knife ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom