What's new

Carved Face Arborglyph

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    156.5 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0
That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time!
 
Cool! That was a lucky find.
 
Thank you for sharing the link Charl. What an amazing find.
 
Looks pretty thin for a 200 yr. old tree. I'm not familiar with how fast trees grow in the Pacific N.W. so it could be that old. Personally I doubt the carving is over 20yrs. old. No moss or total stains like the surrounding trees. It disturbs me to see a beautiful forest logged out and turned into scrub.
 
Most loggers would have just cut it down.
 
Cool stuff, Charl. I was surprised to read that they did eventually cut down the tree to be housed in an administrative building to share with other members. Interesting.. Thanks for the post.
 
How awesome is that! Thanks for sharing it with us Charl. :)
 
Cool stuff, Charl. I was surprised to read that they did eventually cut down the tree to be housed in an administrative building to share with other members. Interesting.. Thanks for the post.

Looks like they had no choice, even being there 200 years. Too exposed, some clown would have cut down the tree and made off with it otherwise.
 
Looks pretty thin for a 200 yr. old tree. I'm not familiar with how fast trees grow in the Pacific N.W. so it could be that old. Personally I doubt the carving is over 20yrs. old. No moss or total stains like the surrounding trees. It disturbs me to see a beautiful forest logged out and turned into scrub.

Intetesting observation. However, I suspect the experts who have examined it have a much better handle on the age then you or I do simply looking at it. There is a long tradition of these tree carvings in that area(apart from the much better known totem poles), and I am certain if they estimate 200 years, they have plenty of good reasons for that estimate. Yeah, not crazy about clear cut forestry either, but Japan needs timber:-(

Faces in the Forest | McGill-Queen?s University Press
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    355.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom