What's new

Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

bergie

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
1,827
Reaction score
1,280
Golden Thread
0
Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

I'm sure many of you can identify with this...Visiting my parents today and always seem to see interesting things that have been collected over the years. They bought this in an antique store in England in the 1960s and don't know anything about it. Beautiful carvings of Asian figures...any feedback on the era greatly appreciated. Thank you. (There are no markings anywhere)
 

Attachments

  • photo-1.webp
    photo-1.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • photo-2.webp
    photo-2.webp
    47 KB · Views: 982
  • photo-4.webp
    photo-4.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 965
  • photo-3.webp
    photo-3.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 2
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

not sure of the age but i dont think its ivory. very cool though! :notworthy: ;D
 
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

That is a real cool knife, very interesting. Thanks for the pic! :headbang:
 
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

The figures are Japanese, it's very possible it could be Real Ivory :icon_thumright: You cant tell true Ivory from a pic, they have a imitation that mimics it very close. Age maybe 1880's-1910's not sure though :icon_scratch: Take it to a reputable Antique Dealer,
they should be able to tell if it's real, and sellable (endangered species act). Very nice though :notworthy: :headbang: The fact it doesn't have marks is good!, most Katanas or "Daggers" will have their Marks under the handles if they are quality items.
 
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

I'm no expert,but lived in Japan when I was young,and have seen these. I belevie it is a Hari Kari Knife. But have no idea of its age . Nice find !
 
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

That's cool! I'll trade you a toasted king George for it. ;D
 
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

Nice piece.
Look for any pores on surfaces, real ivory will have none, resin castings will.
a hot sewing needle touched to inside of sheath should not smell of plastic, but burning hair.
believe 'legal' ivory has to be around turn of the century.
I love this substance with it's many artistic uses.
Thanks for sharing this :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IVORY 009 copy.webp
    IVORY 009 copy.webp
    29 KB · Views: 655
  • IVORY 008 copy.webp
    IVORY 008 copy.webp
    32 KB · Views: 653
I'm sure many of you can identify with this...Visiting my parents today and always seem to see interesting things that have been collected over the years. They bought this in an antique store in England in the 1960s and don't know anything about it. Beautiful carvings of Asian figures...any feedback on the era greatly appreciated. Thank you. (There are no markings anywhere)


I also have a knife very similar to yours. mine is slightly damaged. I would love to know more about it!!103_1238.webp103_1236.webp103_1237.webp
 
I also have a knife like this can anyone tell me if and what it's worth please
 
very likely a WW2 era "bring back" item from a British soldier stationed in japan(post war) or taken off a Japanese officer during the war ..the brit likely later on sold it to the British Antique store your folks found it in --looks to be a Japanese carved ivory (aka as "scrimshaw" ) knife
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom