Casche Hunting Detectors

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Casche Hunting is easier with the right equipment, for all you MD's out there what do you know works the best for a typical casche buried no more than 15 feet maximum most of the time? I have seen OKM with the glasses that show you real time geo/sonar and I have seen GPL advertising the prongs that go into the ground. Anyone out there that has used anything and had any luck at actually finding objects buried deeper than a regular MD would find?

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
sabre15 said:
Casche Hunting is easier with the right equipment, for all you MD's out there what do you know works the best for a typical casche buried no more than 15 feet maximum most of the time? I have seen OKM with the glasses that show you real time geo/sonar and I have seen GPL advertising the prongs that go into the ground. Anyone out there that has used anything and had any luck at actually finding objects buried deeper than a regular MD would find?

We use Pulsestar Pro II (these are PI) with the 2m x 2m coils in the meteorite hunting field. In the Campo field in Argentina, big irons are reported found down to 25 feet. I've found rusted chain (a very hard target to see) down to 4'. Thought it was a iron kettle top when I dug down to it, but no. So 15' is an easy find if you have a target that is 0.50% surface area of your coil area.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Kentucky Kache said:
Who would bury a cache 15' deep?

Certainly nobody here in good ole KY, grounds to darned hard.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Very few would have been buried that deep. But in some cases, the top layers of the ground have been change by both Mother Nature and man.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
sabre15, i was really interested in your post and was checking for info myself. i feel sure that you can get some good info on this forum. i have the fisher gemini 2---- too sensitive-- can't use near small weeds and high grass. just purchased the tf900 because i had confidence in the person that recommended it.-- so far so good but still practicing with it. if you will go to treasure marks and signs which is part of this forum and ask your question you can glean more in-fo....... if you want in-fo on a couple to stay away from, just e-mail me your tel.#--- be glad to tell you what you can't post on a forum-- tenclaw

K

Kentucky Kache

Hill Billy said:
Kentucky Kache said:
Who would bury a cache 15' deep?

Certainly nobody here in good ole KY, grounds to darned hard.

15' would be too hard in good ole anywhere. That's deep even in loose ground.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Of course targets can be 15 feet deep, for instance.
1. Strongbox falls off a boat into the river and then the river changes course and buries it deeper.
2. Blow sand has covered a nugget area that I am familiar with to around 8 feet. Give it time.
3. Iron box in a swampy area should sink nicely.
4. Target buried deeper by road construction.
5. Aztec treasure thrown into the lake to keep Cortes from getting it. Now the area is known as
Mexico City and has built up over it.
6. I am familiar with a rock jetty that covers a potential treasure site.
7. I know of a reported site where a strongbox was buried in a park. I have seen it on a Ground
Penetrating Radar at 20 feet. Why, I don't know, but there it is. They claim rain an loose soil
are responsible for it sinking.

K

Kentucky Kache

Treasure finder said:
Of course targets can be 15 feet deep, for instance.
1. Strongbox falls off a boat into the river and then the river changes course and buries it deeper.
2. Blow sand has covered a nugget area that I am familiar with to around 8 feet. Give it time.
3. Iron box in a swampy area should sink nicely.
4. Target buried deeper by road construction.
5. Aztec treasure thrown into the lake to keep Cortes from getting it. Now the area is known as
Mexico City and has built up over it.
6. I am familiar with a rock jetty that covers a potential treasure site.
7. I know of a reported site where a strongbox was buried in a park. I have seen it on a Ground
Penetrating Radar at 20 feet. Why, I don't know, but there it is. They claim rain an loose soil
are responsible for it sinking.

If you have a suspected treasure that deep, I think you need something besides a metal detector. I think you'll find that most caches found are relatively shallow.

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use this . but fersth follow this method... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2 بحث.JPG
    2 بحث.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,652
  • بحث3.JPG
    بحث3.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,721
  • snapshot-209.jpg
    snapshot-209.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,173
  • 2 بحث.JPG
    2 بحث.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,590
  • بحث3.JPG
    بحث3.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,591
  • ARR93_05832161ZA_T.jpg
    ARR93_05832161ZA_T.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,647

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be willing to say that about 95% of caches are no deeper than 3 feet. Any good detector with a big loop or a two box unit or even a PI unit will do the job. You just have to master your detector first.

G

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Also remember another variable. Vegetation grows up and you might need to hold
your loop 2 or 3 feet high in place and that loses lots of detection depth, especially
with a PI unit as they don't detect well through air.
I also know of a treasure recovery where 4 holes were drilled with a power post hole
digger down to 4 1/2 feet and quart cans were put in them with currency inside.
That would be an awfully dificult recovery for a loop detector. They were actually found
by hiring a geoligist with a ground penetrating radar for $1000 a day.
Treasure is where you find it, even if that means over 3 feet deep.
Rich

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
So that 5% that most people can't detect should be left over for the rest of us with
deeper, more expensive equipment to go after!
Rich

jesus

May 9, 2009
when I begin to hunt treasure, I thinked in a deeper detector, and I know all us do this, maybe we feel sure with this device, but this is not true, the time says we need investigation about our treasure , with this is possible to know what kind detector we need, but if we know only a little about this treasure, then we can think in two box detectors or pulse induction with big coils or in resistivity system, I belive this are the only good detectors to find something unknow. We need know the fisical limitation of each detector system.The perfect system is not here yet.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,

Exactly, most people do not have the means, time and money to invest on very deep projects. That is unless you are very certain that there is treasure where you are looking and that is not always the case.

Glad to hear you have deep expensive machines and searching equipment, you should give us a little insight on the models, how they are applied to a search etc. Oh yeah... you should also list them under your name along with the ones already listed.

Gilbert

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Gilbert,
I have used all kinds of locators including metal detectors, dowsing rods,
large loop PI units, LRL's such as the Gold Beam by Dell Winders, the PDF
1000 by Fitzgerald, Electroscopes, Treasure Scopes, Lectra Search, Resistivity
Meters, Infrared film, Infrared Digital Cameras, Infrared temperature guns,
Backhoes, post hole diggers, Gold Guns, and been on hand while magnetometers and ground penetrating radars (sonars) were used. I have
also worked on map dowsing and tried my hand at Remoter Viewing and
hired geologists and worked on Spanish signs. I love the hobby and I am
open to anything but I have to be convinced that what I am using really
works.
That being said, all the above are limited in some way, some of the above
are close to useless. My experience is that a good Long Range unit would
be priceless, but we are not there yet. I have some dowsing ability and the
quickest recovery I ever made was 4 silver dollars buried together which
I found iwth a dowsing rod in less thatn 5 minutes.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Page 2, I went over the work limit, I guess
I once got a location on a supposed box of gold coins according to a family member of the story teller.
I used a Dell Winder LRL and it was confirmed by a ground penetrating radar at 22 feet. I had said 22
feet. We couldn't dig it, it was on city property. I also once located a gold vein at 63 feet with an
Electroscope, but I got the same readings with simple dowsing tools also. That was confirmed by
the mining company that hired me. They did dig down to it, so that is real. My point is it takes some
dowsing ability to use Long Range Locators, they won't work without it. I find silver is much easier to
find than gold, I think there may be some interference from fine gold in many areas that I search.
So try all equipment with an open mind, and use what works for you. Don't worry what other people
think, it is YOUR hobby! Also don't forget equipment like camping equipment, 4 wheel drive vehicles,
etc.
Rich

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a LRL as well, when it comes to explaining how they work you can get into a subject that most people will clash with. In other words the electronics do not have anything to do with the results. You can basically use it without turning the unit on and you will get the same results. As you mentioned its dowsing capabilities that do the work and that goes into an entirely different realm of understanding that i will not get into in order to avoid negative comments.

I have been cache hunting for about 15 yrs now and just arrived in South America today to do some hunting. I have set goals, look for caches that I can find. This includes not only detecting and locating the cache, but also being able to dig it out. So the set up I have now can find caches of medium size ( 12" diameter) past 4 feet. That is good enough for me at the moment as digging any deeper is too hard. I have done excavations down to 12 feet in the past.

I will stay here for two months and hope to do some good projects.

G

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
If you are out in the field, then you are a true treasure hunter. I have hunted in Mexico and
Panama as well as the Western and Southwestern US.
When people ask me about dowsing, I just put out a hose with water flowing through it and
give them some L rods and have them cross over the hose. If they get a reaction, then it is
up to them to explain it. I don't find dowsing to be 100%, but neither is any metal detector
or any other type of Treasure Locating.
Good luck on the hunt and don't drink too much Yerba Mate.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread