What's new

Cashing in dimes

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Any of you dime hunters out there ever get shorted by coin counters when turning in dumps? I am going to take in some dimes tomorrow and was wondering about this. I thought I remembered people saying they got ripped off on dimes, maybe that was buying bags from the machines. :icon_scratch:

Today I went and got more dimes to search: $400 worth (yesterday was my first time CRHing dimes), and plan to cash them in tomorrow. I got 3 Rosies today by the way today.

I got one bank that has a machine that screws up when they run halves and the main teller is kind of mean. So I am going to take all my dimes to that branch from now on and better not hear any of their bellyaching since the machine takes dimes. I cannot wait to see the look on her face when I stroll in with a full canvas bag of coins and she says "I told you the machine doesn't handle halves" and I tell her they are dimes. ;D

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Lol, I told you the machine doesn't handle halves" and I tell her they are dimes ... hahha good one , I dont know about dimes but the only counter I used was off with halves the total came out to 1300.25 and the teller said u must have had a quarter in there , there was no quarter I had just picked all the rolls in their parking lot...


Anyways nice score on those dimes today :thumbsup:, Ed
 
Scalper said:
Lol, I told you the machine doesn't handle halves" and I tell her they are dimes ... hahha good one , I dont know about dimes but the only counter I used was off with halves the total came out to 1300.25 and the teller said u must have had a quarter in there , there was no quarter I had just picked all the rolls in their parking lot...


Anyways nice score on those dimes today :thumbsup:, Ed


Thanks Ed. Looks like you cleaned up on the halves today. Way to go!

I get the same thrill searching dimes when I find a keeper, but in the end the reward is so small compared to halves.

On the plus side, every teller I have gone to has rolls and rolls of dimes to give away unlike halves. I think I could have bought as many rolls of dimes as I wanted at the banks I went to. They were thrilled to get rid of the dimes.

The silver dimes stick out way better than searching for halves. Since there are no 40% dimes you only need to concentrate on the bright silver rims that seem to stick out (hopefully not Canadian dimes).

Jim
 
I've been screwed a time or two, then I told them when dumping, PLEASE look as you are dumping them and notice there are nothing but dimes in there & there is exactly this amount. It's been known for dimes to go into the penny bag.
 
my dump is TD bank and they have shorted me on dimes and counted them as pennies....only a few here and there but they add up. others have the same problem with the same bank...some have gotten beat for $50 +
 
My coin machine counts up to 1% of dimes as pennies. Gets costly fast. Keep an eye on the count.
 
Greeat job on the silver!!! I have not had any troubles while returning my dimes. :thumbsup:
 
My favorite bank has a bag of dimes waiting for me tomorrow ($1000) I do not worry about returns though. I have a bank type coin sorter/counter at home and I keep it running good. I count out $500 and bag them in the heavyduty bags they give me and I deposit that way. My account gets credited immediatly and my deposit amount has NEVER been adjusted by them.

I also use that counter to double check the bag of dimes and they are usually very close.

My advice do not do this at BofA, they don't trust anyone and hold onto a coin bag deposit for up to a week before the money is free. (at least that is the way they do in SoCA)
 
EVERY MACHINE IS DIFFERENT. I LIVE IN THE SAME AREA AS NARTH BUT USE A DIFFERENT MACHINE AND HAD NO PROBLEM DUMPING. IT DEPENDS ON HOW THE MACHINE IS CALIBRATED.

GOLDEN SILVER
 
I agree with GS. I have had no problems with machines.
 
If I were you, I would divide the dimes up into a few batches. Run the first batch through and see if it counted accurately. If it does, take another batch in. If not, don't!

-Codes
 
i been shorted by the machines at my two dump banks too. it counts some dimes as pennies. i don't do dimes much but if i did i would make an issue of it. i have often thought of getting a few bags of pennies and dumping them just to see if the machine would count them as dimes.....but so far i have not...
 
I usually have a dime or two that counts as a penny.....and when counting pennies...a penny or two that counts as a dime...

So unless I am off by more then $1 per $1000 I usually don't make a big deal out of it.

Had it happen twice in the past two weeks though...
Off $3 at one bank and $1 at another. Since I knew it was all dimes I just kept a separate receipt before running the remaining coins and mentioned to the teller that their machine was off a bit and needed to be recalibrated or cleaned. In both instances they thanked me for telling them and gave me the difference back in cash (as if the pennies were dimes).

The funny thing is the bags I was cashing in were all from $500 bags of dimes and each of them was over by about $2.50. Since these were the first three dime bags from this bank I called and told them their machine was counting high on dimes (felt guilty accepting an extra $2.50 per bag that I didn't pay for). The teller just thanked me and said they'd have their machine looked at.
 
I just had 6 dimes counted as pennies this week.

The machine I was using kept rejecting about 30% of all the dimes I ran through for no reason so I kept shoveling them back in but noticed that there was x amount of dollars and like 3 cents on the counter readout I figured I got lucky and got some left over pennies in the hopper when I started the machine (which happens on occasion) like Scalper noted above when he got a Quarter when all he was dumping is halves.
But I started to notice that it went to 4 cents and than 5 cents and 6 as I kept shoveling the rejected dimes back through. So I just bagged up the balance of the rejected Dimes and headed to a different dump. I may have saved some money buy leaving when I did.

It really sucks watching any profit slowly disappearing before your very eyes.

Mojo
 
In my experience dimes are hit and miss. I think I am about even with money lost and silver amount found. GL and hope it turns out for the best.
HH,
Frank
 
I dumped $1100 of dimes in a bag but my account was only credited with $990.42. I lost about $110. @#&* the machine. What the hell is the 42 cents coming from?

I will stop doing dime for a long time. This is too costly.
 
My dime hunting career was pretty short lived. It was not worth the time and effort for a few dimes here and there.

When I cashed in the dimes I mixed them in with some halves at a self service machine. I did not know how many dimes were in there so I dont know if I was ripped off or not. I did notice that the final tally listed 2 pennies that were not in my coins. I figured maybe the halves running thru knocked some stuck pennies loose, but now I figure those were dimes from what everybody is saying. I wonder how many were not counted? I dont want to know actually.

I will stick to halves from now on.

Jim
 
Dimes are a pain !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom