What's new

Cast iron mystery

CSA2K

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2012
Messages
564
Reaction score
108
Golden Thread
0
Location
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found at a site which has produced CW relics to early 20th junk
Cast iron, initials appear to be RW
 

Attachments

  • whatisit.webp
    whatisit.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 790
Maybe some type of gate valve wrench..... :tard:
 
Upvote 0
Are the ends/tips broken?
 
Upvote 0
No they are not. The pic is at a poor angle but as the object lies the ends are pointed towards the ceiling
 
Upvote 0
There is an R.W. Winfeild company that made wrought iron gates maybe its a latch like Gunnrunner mentioned
 
Upvote 0
R.W. Winfield would certainly fit the time period. I'm finding a lot of broken cast iron pieces from pots / stoves.. even the entire leg from a stove.. so my thinking was in that direction
 
Upvote 0
It may be a piece from a cow tie and the chain broke off. Also known as trace chain or chain tie. Thats my guess unfortunately Im not at my computer and I dont have access to my extensive files to post a pic.

You may even search here to find examples of "cow tie"
 
Upvote 0
Ha.. no holes but it does look like one. A slight channel runs between the tabs along the "top" on both sides
 
Upvote 0
There are different styles and sizes but they all have the same general shape.. I think it could be off an old cow tie/chain tie.
 

Attachments

  • cow ties.webp
    cow ties.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
Right I see it. What were they used for?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
There are different styles and sizes but they all have the same general shape.. I think it could be off an old cow tie/chain tie.

I have never seen a toggle like this one, and I think it is way too big for that application. Assuming that a AA battery is roughly 2 inches long, by scale, this piece would have to be close to 8 inches long.
 

Attachments

  • castiron.webp
    castiron.webp
    45.5 KB · Views: 661
Upvote 0
CSA2K said:
Right I see it. What were they used for?
Im not sure but they are listed in my old books. (1890-1910) and I remember seeing them posted here before. I would imagine they could be used for many things besides cows and I remember someone saying on an older thread they may have been used to pull cannons but these are not my words. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Creskol says it too big so I may be wrong. :dontknow: Its the best guess I have at this time. ;D
He will have to explain their use. I think it slips in the O ring and makes a loop but I dont really know.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:
There are different styles and sizes but they all have the same general shape.. I think it could be off an old cow tie/chain tie.

I have never seen a toggle like this one, and I think it is way too big for that application. Assuming that a AA battery is roughly 2 inches long, by scale, this piece would have to be close to 8 inches long.
You may be right. I dont know. :dontknow: My book shows some very large "close rings" but I guess it would be a large chain for such a large toggle.
 
Upvote 0
Having pondered this thing in my sleep, I can't help but thinking that it is half of some kind of clamp, perhaps similar in nature to a bench clamp like was used for sharpening saw blades.
 
Upvote 0
A handle for an old squeegee?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
A handle for an old squeegee?

DCMatt
Its large enough to be a handle and has a hole for hanging but would cast iron be the preferred metal?
 
Upvote 0
Almost looks like a battery hold-down clamp of some sort, but again, cast iron would seem a bid odd for that application. :read2: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Unreal as it may sound.. I was out detecting today.. and actually FOUND a cow tie
 

Attachments

  • P1010888.webp
    P1010888.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
CSA2K said:
Unreal as it may sound.. I was out detecting today.. and actually FOUND a cow tie
That looks like it according to my book. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom