✅ SOLVED Cast Iron Object - What is it?

BookZach

Oct 12, 2019
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Took a flyer on this for $1.00 because I didn't know what it was. Certainly has some age to it.

IMG-1602.jpg

IMG-1603.jpg

IMG-1604.jpg

IMG-1605.jpg

Any ideas? Can't be an enormous wrench, can it? ???

Thanks!

Looks like an antique fire hydrant wrench. I can't find an exact match online, but it appears the older hydrants had octagonal fittings like yours does. Here's one with both octagonal and pentagonal sockets:

post-38845-143138156481_thumb.jpg

Upvote 0
yes its a wrench.i think i saw one on here.but not sure what it is used for. but it is cool.
brad

Upvote 0
As fancy as that is, my guess is that it is a handle off of some sort of press..book press...paper press, meat press, juicer, press.. or ..............?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.30.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.30.38 AM.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes its a wrench.i think i saw one on here.but not sure what it is used for. but it is cool.
brad

I'm thinking 'wheel hub wrench'. For a buggy or early automobile...

Antique-Buggy-Wagon-Wheel-Hub-Nut-Wrench.jpg

Upvote 0
Here's a hub wrench that's "close" but new(ish).hub.jpg

Your wrench is BIG. Based on the one pic with the tape measure across the opening I'm guessing it's about 4" across the flats? If you could measure that it might help. And it might not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
in my opinion it's way too short for a pipe threader , as a strong young man that job kicked my butt with 24'' handles . no way you'd use such a short handled device for anything over 1/2'' pipe and not much of that.

are those set screws I see in the side of it ?? that's a clue, it may have taken different size attachments like a socket set.

what ever it went to was made to snug something not tighten much , the handles are too short for any leverage .
I like the wheel hub idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s called a street lamp ladder rest. It has the octagon shape to keep it from turning while resting a ladder against it to do maintenance or change out the light bulb or clean the gas orifice. I used to see them at swap meets but rarely see them any more. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1589997656.024796.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s called a street lamp ladder rest. It has the octagon shape to keep it from turning when resting a ladder against it to do maintenance or change out the light bulb or clean the gas orifice.

Ladder rest! Learn something new here every day! I've always wondered why those things are on lamp posts. Now it makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0
It’s called a street lamp ladder rest. It has the octagon shape to keep it from turning while resting a ladder against it to do maintenance or change out the light bulb or clean the gas orifice. I used to see them at swap meets but rarely see them any more. View attachment 1835229

We have a winner!! Thanks desertexplorer. I also learned something today.

ladder rest.jpg

Upvote 0
You are all wrong, it is a precision watch repair wrench that a jeweler would use on a high dollar pocket watch.:headbang:

Upvote 0
Fantastic ID, desertexplorer !! This place has a wealth of information!

Upvote 0
It’s called a street lamp ladder rest. It has the octagon shape to keep it from turning while resting a ladder against it to do maintenance or change out the light bulb or clean the gas orifice. I used to see them at swap meets but rarely see them any more. View attachment 1835229
Wow, we all learned something here today!

Amazing ID - thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back