What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cast Metal Spoon For ID

Cariboo5

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,666
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got this spoon from an online auction, these are the sellers pictures and I should receive this in about 2 1/2 weeks and can post better pictures then.
I am not sure of when this was made 18th, 19th century etc., where and who the crest with an L is for. The handle appears to be diamond shaped and I have not
been able to find any others like that.. All help is appreciated....... Thanks to all .....
 

Attachments

  • Spoon 1.webp
    Spoon 1.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Spoon 2.webp
    Spoon 2.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Spoon 3.webp
    Spoon 3.webp
    59 KB · Views: 69
  • Spoon 4.webp
    Spoon 4.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Spoon 5.webp
    Spoon 5.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 78
I'm assuming the Touch Mark is supposed to represent the Crowned Tudor Rose.
I wasn't even aware of the Crowned Tudor Rose. Following your lead I've found that there is a House of Lancaster associated with Tudor Rose.
Turned right side up it certainly resembles the Tudor Rose with the five pedals and with the crown and letter L it gets more interesting as a possibility.
You just maybe onto some thing Retired Sarge, thanks so much... greatly appreciated..... More research on my part is needed....
 

Attachments

  • Spoon 5.webp
    Spoon 5.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
I wasn't even aware of the Crowned Tudor Rose. Following your lead I've found that there is a House of Lancaster associated with Tudor Rose.
Turned right side up it certainly resembles the Tudor Rose with the five pedals and with the crown and letter L it gets more interesting as a possibility.
You just maybe onto some thing Retired Sarge, thanks so much... greatly appreciated..... More research on my part is needed....

Okay I found two touch marks with a Crowned Rose with a L. Both are from the Netherlands. This should help narrow down your search area. Also after looking at yours, I believe there might be initials in your crown. If you can make any of them out it might help narrow it down some more.

VOB, Vincent Overbeek, Netherlands, 2nd half 18th century.

IW. Netherlands.

20250911_223223.webp
20250911_223238.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay I found two touch marks with a Crowned Rose with a L. Both are from the Netherlands. This should help narrow down your search area. Also after looking at yours, I believe there might be initials in your crown. If you can make any of them out it might help narrow it down some more.

VOB, Vincent Overbeek, Netherlands, 2nd half 18th century.

IW. Netherlands.

View attachment 2224766View attachment 2224767
Excellent as all the info is valuable. So far I cannot make out any letters in the crown but will have to wait until I receive the spoon and check in person.
So far what I have found is that there is a chance it could line up for the 15th century. I also know that there are forgeries and fakes so not getting too
excited at this point. After I get the spoon I'm going to email pictures with an inquiry to "Hampton Court Palace" Historic Royal Palaces in England as they have records
of Kings & Queens going back 500 - 600 years in the hope they know or can point me in the right direction to some experts in England.

Here I will also get an XRF (X-ray fluorescence) on the spoon with a print out which is a non-destructive analytical technique used to determine the elemental composition of materials. This will tell if the composition is from 400 - 500 years ago or 20th century...

Again a big thanks Retired Sarge & keep them coming..
 
Upvote 0
Excellent as all the info is valuable. So far I cannot make out any letters in the crown but will have to wait until I receive the spoon and check in person.
So far what I have found is that there is a chance it could line up for the 15th century. I also know that there are forgeries and fakes so not getting too
excited at this point. After I get the spoon I'm going to email pictures with an inquiry to "Hampton Court Palace" Historic Royal Palaces in England as they have records
of Kings & Queens going back 500 - 600 years in the hope they know or can point me in the right direction to some experts in England.

Here I will also get an XRF (X-ray fluorescence) on the spoon with a print out which is a non-destructive analytical technique used to determine the elemental composition of materials. This will tell if the composition is from 400 - 500 years ago or 20th century...

Again a big thanks Retired Sarge & keep them coming..

I'm far from an expert on these things, just love a challenge. From what I can find, in reading, is that a "Letter" in the Rose or Crown is a Continental Europe thing versus the British Isles.

So if me I would concentrate my search for information on pewter on the European mainland and specifically the Netherlands region. There is a note in a Pewter Collector Publication that stated....

"The Dutch did indeed use the Crowned Rose mark for their pewter indicating that it was made of English tin."
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well Sarge .. You really nailed it as I got confirmation on the history and it is from Holland area.
Appreciate you taking your time to help out ...........
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom