Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i said:
Where is this exceprt from?

An old Book, Sorry, the Book was in Pieces.
No Idea Who or when it was Printed.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-ColoradoTreasures6.html

Some say that the Spaniards buried the chests of gold somewhere along the banks of the Purgatory River. However, the more prevalent theory is that the Spaniards were attacked by Indians, who took their weapons, tools, clothing, and animals. Having no use for the gold, they probably threw it into a cave or a ravine. This theory is supported by a later finding of a suit of Spanish armor found along the banks of the Purgatory River, as well as a skeleton and ancient firearm found in a cave east of the Willow-Vogel Canyon junction in 1924

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
savant365 said:
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-ColoradoTreasures6.html

Some say that the Spaniards buried the chests of gold somewhere along the banks of the Purgatory River. However, the more prevalent theory is that the Spaniards were attacked by Indians, who took their weapons, tools, clothing, and animals. Having no use for the gold, they probably threw it into a cave or a ravine. This theory is supported by a later finding of a suit of Spanish armor found along the banks of the Purgatory River, as well as a skeleton and ancient firearm found in a cave east of the Willow-Vogel Canyon junction in 1924

A real estate salesman with a Compass detector, found some pieces of spanish mail armor in Purgatory canyon, some years ago. I found a relic of one of the two Spanish expeditions, either 1719 or 1720, into Colo Springs, in 1983. Here is a photo of it. The American Numismatic Assn curator, said it was stamped prior to 1746, and said it probably was from one of the two expeditions, because it was found within blocks of where they found the spanish crosses and spanish metal box, in the late 1880's.

Attachments

• Spanish Coin 01_30%.jpg
    Spanish Coin 01_30%.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 784

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purgatory canyon Area

Here is a Google map of that area. The Canyon is pretty big with lots of caves. It runs between Las Animas, Colo to Hwy-160 then N/W towards Walsenburg. I have not detected around there. This is my estimation of older Treasure Stories of Perry Eberhart's book "Treasure Tales of the Rockies" second edition 1961. Highly recommended if you can find it.

Eberhart chapter IV BORDERLAND TREASURE

12. Spanish Treasure of Purgatory Canyon (Colorado)
As mentioned in the above post, and searchers have probed many grottos and holes along the route. The legend is the discoverer of the Spanish cave was unable to explore the area closer and hammered his knife into the closest tree. He fell, broke a leg but passed on the "secret" before he died. So there are many stories of the Canyon Gold and would be worth a trip or two.

13. The Handyman's Hidden Mine
A leading rancher in an area south of the canyon near Springfield (unknown where) hired a Texan handyman to cut firewood. He returned in a wagon with he thought was an exceptionally pretty rock. He had chipped it off a larger rock with his ax. The rancher saw it was gold bearing quartz. The guy said there was plenty more where that came from. The rancher agreed to give the handyman a wagon if he could find the spot again. He took off to visit family in Texas but never returned. [Eberhart said he talked with the rancher in person and believes the story to be true]

14. "Black Jack" Ketchum's Hidden Loot
Somewhere around Tollgate Canyon, New Mexico. An area west of Folsum,NM on the road to Trinchera CO. The canyon was so narrow a wagon couldn't turn around so had to pay up or go backwards. Pretty neat! And Ketchum used to hold people up. Plenty of stories of his buried loot so maybe that's worth a look too.
One of his famous robberies was a Train, single-handed at Twin-Mountain Curve near SEPAR NM. He was caught and hanged in 1899.

15. Spanish Mine on Culebra Peak
Early Trinidad Colo settlers heard rumors of a rich Spanish mine in the area. Around our Revolutionary War time. Near the Colo New Mexico border they found gold. It had a timbered shaft, had cleaning sloughs and melting ovens. They hired, as was customary, local Indians to do the work. Maybe they were chased away or recalled to Spain, they left. And had the Indians cover the shaft, destroy the trail and hide evidence of their work. The Spanish never returned.

Buffalo Bob's Note: The Spanish Always buried their mines or treasures. And made maps for return trip when they could. They had been mining over 300 years and Always left visible signs & markers to show the way.
Most importantly is they ALWAYS HAD A DEATH TRAP near the mine or treasure. Only if you understood their coded signs, rocks carvings etc could you avoid being killed. See the section on Spanish Signs & Markers on this site. If you find markers you think lead to to the treasure, don't touch, dig or move anything until you check with someone who knows.

16. The White Cement Mine
Tale about a an old guy shuffling into a prospecting camp in Horsehead Gulch, in NE New Mexico, July 1858. His name was White and said he discovered nuggets that assayed at 1,000 ounces of gold per ton! Since the party he ran into was a NM State Senator, Henry Sharron, it sounds legit. This is a popular tale and had many searchers. And some other mines were discovered in the San Juan's but not this one.

17. The Secret of Hidden Valley
Two fellows, Ackerman and Ramsey had stories of finding the Hidden Valley mined by Cortez near the Colo NM border. The opening to the valley was so well hidden that after they said they found it, could never find it again.

Note again: ALL Spanish gold or silver works were covered up and permanent signs and markers ere left for returning Spaniards. If the mine flooded, or caved in, poison gas, snakes, hostiles whatever. They were required by the King's law to map it, cover it up, make signs for return trips no matter what. After 350 years of treasure mining, the Spaniards knew that technology someday would allow them to return and get the treasure. ALL Treasure belonged to the King. So look for telltale signs and markers!

Have Fun.......................
BB

Purgatory.jpg
http://www.MyEasyPics.com/is.php?i=1017690&img=Purgatory.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions