perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I have been exploring some off the grid places in my local forest preserves in the midwest and came across the following ruins. As you can see in the photos there is a cement stairwell descending into a (heavily weeded) depression in the ground. Not sure if this would be considered a cellar hole or perhaps a basement of some sort? Looking at topo maps of the area, it appears there was a house of some kind in the area in the early 1900s to the 1940s.

I haven't detected the site yet but plan to soon. I came across some eyeball finds while at the site- an ax head, bits of metal, and plenty of broken glass.

I found the bottom of one broken bottle that says, "LAKE SHORE HONEY PACKAGE PATENT APPLIED FOR 7." Here's one online that's intact (Looks from the 1930s era): https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lake-shore-honey-comb-glass-489888984

Anyway, if anyone could answer if this is likely a cellar hole, I'd appreciate it.

image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image0 (30).jpeg

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of what they look like in our area. View attachment 2138267

Thank you! Looks quite different from the ruins I found. Yours is stone-lined, while the one I found looks like concrete. Thus, I'm guessing it is the remains of a small house with a small basement from the early 1900s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread