Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Evan is in town, and just left with our buddy Reid to travel up to Culpeper to participate in this weekend's DIV hunt. After I picked him up from the airport late yesterday morning we decided to hit one of our old stomping grounds and try getting into a yard or 2 in an area known to be a large CW camp, especially in the area where we know Delaware and Indiana troops were camped based on an amazing original period lithograph I have in my possession. When Evan was last lived here about 7 years ago we got permission from the man of the house to hunt a yard in a prime spot, and were finding lots of relics and coins including 2 spanish silvers. But when the wife came back home she immediately gave us the boot after only a couple hours which was heartbreaking. Now, just about every time Evan comes for a visit, we drive by that site with the hope that somehow we can get ourselves back in as we know we left a lot in the ground. We initially drove by there first thing yesterday afternoon, but no cars were home so we moved on. A couple hours later we noticed what appeared to be the husband's car in the driveway, and after talking to him for a bit he gladly gave us permission to started pounding the yard again. We limited ourselves mostly to cherry picking the high tones as we thought the wife might show up at any moment and throw us out again. But she never came home and we had a full 3 hours there before darkness ended the hunt. No great coins were dug, but a nice variety of CW artifacts surfaced highlighted by Evan's seldom seen topographical engineers bit boss. I believe Wes-n-VA found one earlier this year, and that's the only other example I can remember that's been posted. My best find was the pan from a set of shoulder scales along with one of the scales. That was a first for me. Also found a couple of eagle buttons in nice shape plus what I believe may be a lead bar or ingot that would have been used for making bullets. Also found a few other items including a cute little lock with the key locked onto the shackle. So guess I had my own little mini-DIV yesterday, and didn't have to spend any money or do any traveling. Now it's time to focus on getting into some colonial artifacts, but its still tough to find a place to hunt around here due crops and hunters in the fields. (Sorry, but the order of the pics was somehow rearranged, yet again, when they were posted.)

Attachments

• 111115a.jpg
    111115a.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 111115b.jpg
    111115b.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 111115c.jpg
    111115c.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 112
  • 111115d.jpg
    111115d.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 111115e.jpg
    111115e.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 111115f.jpg
    111115f.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 111115g.jpg
    111115g.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 111115h.jpg
    111115h.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 118
  • 111115i.jpg
    111115i.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 24
That was a great couple hour hunt Bill! That pit boss is killer.
Im sure that in its self made Evans trip. Glad the wife never came home.
Them eagle buttons are in great shape. And I like the design on the back of the pocket watch.

Nice digs Bill. I remember you talking about that place when i was down there. Question: that framed print on your office wall of that location - do you find that accurate enough to pinpoint hotspots?

Nice digs Bill. I remember you talking about that place when i was down there. Question: that framed print on your office wall of that location - do you find that accurate enough to pinpoint hotspots?

I'm surprised you remember that huge lithograph Steve. That print does actually show the area where we were hunting yesterday, but its kinda in the background and doesn't really provide any useful info. But the litho I mentioned in my post was unbelievably detailed. I have the original along with some handwritten notes that were attached. I'll take a pic and email it to you if you're interested. (UPDATE: I just emailed the litho to you.)

Last edited:
Great post Bill! Congratulations to Evan on the incredible topo bit boss. What a great way for him to start out his DIV trip and he will for sure return home now with a successful trip under his belt. So, whats the thing that looks like a HUGE piece of a coin with "STATES" across the rim? Great scales, buttons, bullets and bar too. The lock is killer :thumbsup:

I'm surprised you remember that huge lithograph Steve. That print does actually show the area where we were hunting yesterday, but its kinda in the background and doesn't really provide any useful info. But the litho I mentioned in my post was unbelievably detailed. I have the original along with some handwritten notes that were attached. I'll take a pic and email it to you if you're interested. (UPDATE: I just emailed the litho to you.)

Heck yeah I remember that litho, and sure id love to see that other one. Glad to see you hit up that spot again with things being as slow as they are in the fields.

Nice finds guys! I don't think Evan is going to be able to beat that find on Cole's Hill this weekend :laughing7:

Kudos to ya'll for having a stellar relic hunt. I have often wondered why, more than not, the women are opposed to allow dirt fishing rather that the men?

Kudos to ya'll for having a stellar relic hunt. I have often wondered why, more than not, the women are opposed to allow dirt fishing rather that the men?

Generally its the other way around for me. Elderly ladies, especially widows, are dying for someone to talk to and love the opportunity to have someone to hang out with, even if only briefly. I can't begin to tell you how many old ladies I've befriended over the years, and many of those friendships are still ongoing.

I really like the tiny padlock with the key, I believe I have found one exactly like it before, but unfortunately, I didn't have the key, darn it! Looks like an awesome hunt!

That's an incredible hunt, congats. As to your comment LD, women can't stand to see a man have a good time..... That will cost me!!

Great hunt Bill, and getting to hunt the spot once again.

It's strange to see you holding modern relics, haha. Great timing on catching the man-of-the-house home and even greater finds. Glad you were able to get out.

It's strange to see you holding modern relics, haha. Great timing on catching the man-of-the-house home and even greater finds. Glad you were able to get out.

Thanks Joey. Hope your research pays off for you tomorrow and you find relics and coins 200 years older than this new CW junk .... lol!

Excellent hunt. Thank you for posting.
I have told many friends that you can toss a rock and you will hit a civil war site in Virginia.
The troops, both north and south crisscrossed that state more than any other state.
You guys did really well with some exceptional recoveries but I kept going back to the watch case.
Congrats ,, Congrats,, Congrats

WELL BILL YOURS IS THE FIRST POST TO VEIW AFTER BEING HOME 20 MINUTES FROM MY 3 DAY STAY IN THE HOSPITAL FOR KIDNEY STONES AND DANG WHAT SOME NEEET CIVIL WAR RELICS NEAT BIT BOSS FIRST TIME EVER SEEN ONE . MAN YOU GOT SOME DANG GOOD ONES . SWEET.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back