Chatter--Restarted machine

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was working a new area and got quite a bit of interference (buried electrical lines). Tried most everything--Frequency, Freq shift, Ground Balance, Sensitivity, Reactivity, Silencer, finally turned the Tx gain down to "1" and got some relief. Still not as good as I wanted. Restarted the maching in the noisy area and it helped quite a bit. Of course any changes I had made were lost and it still was quite a bit better. Can't guarantee it will work in your area but it's easy enough to try and see if it helps.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have a Deus, but it sounds like Sensitivity and/.or High Ground Mineralization.
Tried Frequency too, eh? Hmmmm, weird...!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time I have had "chatter" there was a big transformer very close nearby or a big underground cable. It's almost never a problem.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have said I started in one area without any interference. As I moved to a different area I started getting the problems. A bunch of underground wiring. So I restarted the machine with the coil maybe a foot and a half off the ground (and facing downwards) and it was much better. Possibly I detuned it a small amount but at least I was able to use it.

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP has never been clear about what happens in that first ~30 seconds of machine boot up. I learned the importance of keeping the coil in clean air during Andy Sabisch's class. My guess is like the Minelab machines the Deus scans frequencies looking for a clean one. Makes sense if it worked for you when things got chattery.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP has never been clear about what happens in that first ~30 seconds of machine boot up. I learned the importance of keeping the coil in clean air during Andy Sabisch's class. My guess is like the Minelab machines the Deus scans frequencies looking for a clean one. Makes sense if it worked for you when things got chattery.

Singnal-line > What gravityboy said - the Deus does a noise cancelling initialization routine at startup - the process works best if you turn on the detector with the coil at about hip height away from any significant metal sources (like a vehicle).

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Singnal-line > What gravityboy said - the Deus does a noise cancelling initialization routine at startup - the process works best if you turn on the detector with the coil at about hip height away from any significant metal sources (like a vehicle).

Yes, I always hold the coil off the ground when starting up. Usually this means the coil is facing the horizon. This plane of interference is usually not a problem for the detector unless on a hillside. Normally when detecting the coil is face down to the ground so my thinking is this is how the coil should be positioned when starting up while holding three feet off the ground. Anyway, if you are in desparation from interference, it might help you like it did me.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Learned something new today, thanks gravityboy, vferrari and others for the discussion.
I have been powering on my deus with the machine propped up against the car - coil on the pavement - just after taking it out of the trunk. Apparently I've been making my life harder by interfering with the noice cancel routine.
With my Equinox I learned to noise cancel with the coil at hip height; it'll be easy to do the same with the startup of the Deus - I just wouldn't have know to do so until this thread.
Thanks All!

- Brian

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learned something new today, thanks gravityboy, vferrari and others for the discussion.
I have been powering on my deus with the machine propped up against the car - coil on the pavement - just after taking it out of the trunk. Apparently I've been making my life harder by interfering with the noice cancel routine.
With my Equinox I learned to noise cancel with the coil at hip height; it'll be easy to do the same with the startup of the Deus - I just wouldn't have know to do so until this thread.
Thanks All!

- Brian

Away from metal with the coil facing down.

Just occurred to me there are some relatively unworked areas around the underground lines if you can get your machine tuned.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just occurred to me there are some relatively unworked areas around the underground lines if you can get your machine tuned.

For example: there's a house from the early 1800's that today has an electric pump in the historic well in the back yard. I suspect that people would have walked the straight line between the back door and the well for the past 200 years, but I couldn't get anywhere near the well or that line because the power line to that pump runs along that same straight walking line.
I'm hoping that with the Deus I'll be able to Expert frequency-shift and be able to detect that area. Maybe someone dropped something good at some point...

I should head there this weekend...

Thanks for the lessons everyone!
- Brian

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks All!

- Brian

Well I'll join you in that habit Brian, and maybe that explains why some hunts produce more than others.
I was thinking when I was out for a short hunt this past week about ground balancing the machine-something i have never done manually.

The hunting the majority of the sites have ended now with the planting-just the beans to go in now as the corn has taken a good amount of the fields out of play.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread