What's new

Check out my Dad’s 1921 Morgan Dollar

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
2,494
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Check out my Dad’s 1921 Morgan Dollar

My Dad was born in 1921. Today would have been his 86th birthday. He passed a few years back. I can only hope to live as long as him.

In honor of him, I want to share these two of his treasured coins with you. Believe it or not, the one on the right is a 1921 Morgan dollar. My dad carried that in his pocket for so many years it wore it almost off. All you can see left is a little of the outline of Liberty’s head. You can see the back side is completely gone. The “new” 1921 Morgan was what I gave him for his 80th birthday. He really loved that new one. It was an honor to get his “old” Morgan. It is the one coin I will cherish forever. I am writing this not to ask for any condolence, just to share another coin collectors (my father) treasure with you. ;D
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_013.webp
    ScreenHunter_013.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 343
  • ScreenHunter_014.webp
    ScreenHunter_014.webp
    30 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0
Your Dad's pocket coin is a real treasure!!
Thanks for sharing your story and the photos of your dad's coins.
Do you carry it too, or just keep it in a safe place?

Smiles!
BDoo
 
silver is known for antibacterial properties. If he carried it with him all the time I would guess that is one reason he lived so long.


Just to stir up some trouble (the drug companies must have pulled to raise the price of silver so everyone would stop using it for coins so they could sell more meds :-(
 
Boobydoo said:
Your Dad's pocket coin is a real treasure!!
Thanks for sharing your story and the photos of your dad's coins.
Do you carry it too, or just keep it in a safe place?

Smiles!
BDoo
I keep it in a safe place. I would be afraid I might lose it and a MDer would find it.
 
That baby is very worn. Did he carry it around for luck or what was the reason? The new one is a beaut!

I know your not looking for condolence, but my condolence anyway to you & RB.

That truly is a treasure!
 
Why didn't Rosco get it?
 
Thanks for sharing your treasure(d) story. It reminded me of a similar one from my past.

Back in the early 90's I had worked with an older gentleman named Bill and he would sometimes jingle the coins in his pocket, and there was always the sound of a coin I did not recognize. One day I asked him about it and he pulled out a silver disk which looked like it was a match for the one in your picture. He told me he was working pumping gas in 1961 and someone had paid for their gas with a brand new 1923-S silver dollar. He exchanged it for a dollar he had and he carried it in his pocket every day for over 30 years. By the time I saw it in late 1991 it was worn to the point of being unrecognizable.

Bill was a bit of a coin hunter too and he told me different stories about coins he found in circulation and bought at auctions. One auction he went to he ended up getting a jar of silver coins which he paid $50. He got home and he counted them and they had a face value of over $80. Of course at the time silver was around $5.00 an ounce but still to buy them for under face value is a heck of a deal.

After leaving the job where I worked with Bill I lost touch with him. About five years ago I saw his obituary in the local paper. It is too bad he never lived long enough to enjoy his retirement. I sometimes wonder what ever happened to all of the coins he told me he had.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)
 
lejeuene said:
TXTim said:
Why didn't Rosco get it?

Easy now Tim..... ;)

I hope he knows I like to kid him about his brother and vice versa - I have a couple brothers and a bunch of sisters -all relentless on the teasing.

It is a great coin - I can just hear Rosco - "So that's where that dollar went...."
 
TXTim said:
lejeuene said:
TXTim said:
Why didn't Rosco get it?

Easy now Tim..... ;)

I hope he knows I like to kid him about his brother and vice versa - I have a couple brothers and a bunch of sisters -all relentless on the teasing.

It is a great coin - I can just hear Rosco - "So that's where that dollar went...."

Lol....that's funny. I knew what you were doing.... ;D
 
TXTim said:
Why didn't Rosco get it?
Nice try Tim, nothing like trying to stir the pot. Fact is, our family was poor folk. That's all there was for an inheritance. We flipped a coin and I won.
PS, Rosco never figured out I used a double sided coin. He's a little slow like that. I flipped it, I called it, I won it. End of story.
 
That's a neat story. Though worn, that pocketpiece of his was a real treasure, indeed. And what a special gift to give him a new one! Truly, this is coin collecting at its best. :)
 
that morgan sure has a lot of miles and stories on it. thanks for the story
 
It's a good thing everyone didn't take as much care with their money.....there wouldn't be any lost and in the ground for us to detect. ;D That's quite a keepsake.
 
I think you got the wrong one in plastic- the new one has lots of life yet haha. Glad ya got that keepsake. Mark
 
Simply put, I really like that story. Theres always more to an inheritance than just money
 
awhitster said:
TXTim said:
Why didn't Rosco get it?
Nice try Tim, nothing like trying to stir the pot. Fact is, our family was poor folk. That's all there was for an inheritance. We flipped a coin and I won.
PS, Rosco never figured out I used a double sided coin. He's a little slow like that. I flipped it, I called it, I won it. End of story.

Better be careful bro. I could spill the beans on your name, city (opps town) and things that you have done. What could I loose. I got my in heritance........ehehehe.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom