Checking out The Buffalo Gap and Fairburn Agate Beds in South Dakota

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just moved to Rapid City and set out today to do a little hiking and look for some Agates, among other "pretty rocks" [emoji6]. I drove out to Fairburn, it was way more remote than I thought.
I had some interesting finds and would love help to ID two rocks. My guess on the "bubble" rock is botryoidal geothite??
The second one... Could it be a fossil? Just a strange rock? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442191781.459386.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442191793.598150.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442191807.512051.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442191817.565149.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442191828.768788.jpg

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Steph - You moved to the correct State for gems / stones!! The Badlands have some crazy stuff. Why does one move to Rapid City? Are you a hard core Harley fanatic?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Military orders sent us out to South Dakota. We have been here about a week. I am not a big motorcycle enthusiast, but who knows... With Sturgis so close maybe that will change.
I would love to try some panning while I am out here. I have read up on the rules on the BLM site. I hope to join a local group for metal detecting & or rock/ gem/ fossil finds.
Do you have experience out here TheRingFinder?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to hunt Fairburn agates! Keep us posted if you ever find some, Id really like to see them!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442267370.969052.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442267387.978782.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442267401.010024.jpg

I went back out today in hopes to find a nice Fairburn Agate. No real luck today. I found a few cool rocks. The one agate is pretty cool. I got some sunshine and fresh air so I am happy, maybe next time!

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Steph - Not a lot of experience - though I worked out that way a bit and took the family to the black hills. That whole area is just incredible. Enjoy it while you are there!!

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice prairie agates. My gf and I spent 4 days in fairburn 2 weeks ago. I found 2 and she found one. Toughest agate to find in my opinion.

Edit: some advise i got from an old guy out there: get as far away from the agate spot behind the campground as possible. The agate beds in the fairburn area span like ten by twelve miles. That one area has been picked for many years (obviously because there is a sign pointing directly to it)

You'll have to do some hiking but your chances of success increase. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and to your panning. I reccomend joining th GPAA. They have some very good claims there in that area. I think about a half dozen or so. One is directly inbeteeen sturgis and deadwood, I had decent luck at. And my favorite is just outside of mystic. Near hill city. There is plenty of public land all over there to test some new areas too if you don't like going where everyone else goes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally found a Fairburn... I hope it's one anyway. It's void of much color, but has the concentric bands, even a few eyes. Either way I like it! I found it by the Rail Road Buttes. It was a hike to get in there! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442875896.028759.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442875908.216447.jpg

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty certain its not. Some of those prairie agates out there can fool ya. Have me a few times. The "eyes" usually give it away as a fairburn usually doesn't have them, (rom what ive seen and heard, im no expert) could be wrong, but I'm a good 99percent. Heres a picture of one we found last month.

Attachments

• 1442880291525.jpg
    1442880291525.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 701
Upvote 0
OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn It! Ha ha. I agree that it doesn't look like the other fairburns I have seen, but the lines look much different than the prairie agate I have seen. I guess it could be a prairie, but it sure has some Fairburn features.
Dreams are crushed [emoji27]. I think I will give rock hunting a break for a while.

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. My first was very similar to that one. My gramps is an agate dealer and he called it a nearburn...Haha

But don't just go off my opinion either, I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found a Fairburn... I hope it's one anyway. It's void of much color, but has the concentric bands, even a few eyes. Either way I like it! I found it by the Rail Road Buttes. It was a hike to get in there! View attachment 1214008 View attachment 1214009

Whatever it is it is called that is an awesome agate. I hope to see more thoughts about it. Had I found it in that region I would have thought it a Fairburn but I am not an expert on Fairburn agates.

You should feel encouraged, not discouraged by that find, no matter what name it has. :)

Thanks for sharing this and your other interesting finds. You are finding some great material.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairburn or not, that is a very cool agate! Don't get discouraged, if they are there, it just takes patience, and i'll bet once you finally find one, you will start finding more!

Upvote 0

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a Fairburn, 100%. I have been hunting Fairburn agates for 12 years. The holly leaf turn-outs and dense banding make it a sure thing. Good luck, watch out for snakes.

Upvote 0

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In regard to the first post, I've seen those rocks with the little black clusters sticking out but I can't seem to think of what they are called. The second one looks like a fossil of some sort to me, the coloring in my opinion is right for being a fossil and the shape doesn't look like something that would occur very often (geologically). That could be a Fairburn, but I'm not certain since I've never gone out and looked for any. Every year, the South Dakota School of Mines hosts an event where they will help the public identify rocks and fossils that they bring in, for free; unfortunately they just had this year's event a few weeks ago!

Upvote 0

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a fairburn agate. As one who lives here and is a fellow hunter, I know one when i see one. They can come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. And they can have eyes. In fact, it makes them more valuable and sought after. Nice find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread