Chinese antique carved wood and cloth sleeve what is it??

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an oval carved wood box with a cotton sleeve. The seller marked it 19th century. I did not pay $380 BTW, or anywhere near that 😀. What is it? IMG_20190627_180358.jpg
IMG_20190627_180400.jpg IMG_20190627_180415.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the seller knows what it is, outside of they think it's worth 380 bucks. Maybe vintage Chinese washable toilet paper :dontknow:

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if a dealer asking for that kind of money they would provide a description of the item?
IMO
Brady

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
What does the inside of the box look like??
And how does the sleeve attach?
these may be some clues to what it was for..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if a dealer asking for that kind of money they would provide a description of the item?
IMO
Brady
I got it at a charity shop that gets estate sale leftovers. The sticker is from the sale.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The inside is just carved out wood, same shape as container. The fabric is stitched into the rim.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS - I paid less than $20. I live a good mystery item!

Upvote 0

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting... It could be you're missing the other half. Like the cap and liner to a lower box which is missing.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the sleeve is just a liner that's supposed to be tucked inside the box....
Is the end furthest from the box sewn shut or left open?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the sleeve is just a liner that's supposed to be tucked inside the box....
Is the end furthest from the box sewn shut or left open?

The end is open. I feel like there should be a top but there's no way to attach one and no evidence of one - no wear on the fabric on the lip.

Upvote 0

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very neat wooden box, but what makes you believe it's Chinese, is that what the seller stated? The Greek Key or 'T' design border at the bottom edge would appear more Italian in origin. And Chinese carvings are always more intricate. In addition, to me the "sleeve" appears to be machine sewn. I am guessing it may have had a lid similar to the one pictured here. No idea what the sleeve is about, unless it is an anti-tarnish fabric and was used to wrap jewelry or an ornament kept inside. I'm also guessing the 380 was an item number for the estate sale and not a price tag, I can't see the seller letting go of a $380 item for less than 20 bucks. :icon_scratch:

wooden box.jpg

Upvote 0

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m thinking you put ur hand in there and pull out a marble or paper chance. Like in the movies when they vote white or black marbles. Or like when you draw lots. Some sort of voting/chance/gambling thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hugosmom

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it at a charity shop that gets donations from the leftovers of estate sales. Items often. Still have the estate sale sticker. They price to sell.
Anyhow, here's a pic of the side that looks much more Chinese. It arrived in a box of Chinese antiques too. Sewing machines were invented in the mid 1800s so being machine sewn doesn't mean not old anymore.
IMG_20190627_180408.jpg

Upvote 0

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it at a charity shop that gets donations from the leftovers of estate sales. Items often. Still have the estate sale sticker. They price to sell.
Anyhow, here's a pic of the side that looks much more Chinese. It arrived in a box of Chinese antiques too. Sewing machines were invented in the mid 1800s so being machine sewn doesn't mean not old anymore.
View attachment 1727598

As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions