Chinese bowl bought for $35 at a yard sale could make half a million

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
A small floral bowl bought at a yard sale in Connecticut for just $35 has been identified as an exceptionally rare 15th-century Chinese antique.

The intricate blue-and-white artifact, which features motifs of lotus, peony, chrysanthemum and pomegranate blossoms, was originally commissioned by China's imperial court during the Ming dynasty. It is now expected to sell for up to $500,000, according to Sotheby's auction house in New York, where the auction is due to take place next month.

The discovery was made last year near New Haven, Connecticut. While Sotheby's is not disclosing the owner's identity, the head of its Chinese art department, Angela McAteer, revealed in a phone interview that the man "didn't haggle over the $35 asking price."

More at the link ~ https://www.cnn.com/style/article/chinese-bowl-yard-sale-sothebys-auction/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0TGl_yvlosLxBPjWeUe0hcxUry1JGnDg2q_oCMF7k35vDaLHtWFXCYO3s

temp.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw this bowl on the news this morning...., and it doesn't look THAT old...!
Really cool, very delicate designs..., beautiful, actually...!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just now mentioned this find on CPR radio this morning. I'm not sure I could identify one of these if I came across one, as so many old and modern ceramic blue and bowls you come across in thrift shops and yard sales look just like this one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread