• Dec13$04.JPG
    Dec13$04.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 306
  • Dec13$05.JPG
    Dec13$05.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 309
T

TreasureTales

Wow this is the third or forth chinese cash coin that's been posted on TNet in the past several days. There are several websites that can give you plenty of info about this coin. Just do a search for "chinese cash coin" and see what you get. They vary in age and meaning, and the hole was for tying them onto a string since pockets had not been invented yet. Nice bit of history, but not worth much money, sadly.

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Go to top of page on forum page and under Recent Treasures Found By Our Members click search and plug in Chinese Coins and you will find lots of info.

Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

daniel74868

I found out a little bit about this coin. I emailed some pictures to a coin selling place out of canada. he said:

"The coin is Chinese, from the Ching Dynasty, and is specifically a coin of the Emperor Chen Lung who ruled from AD 1736 to 1796. The mint mark is for the Board of Revenue mint, which is one of the two principle mints in Beijing, and is the most common mint for these.
This is the most common Chinese cash coin, and with the amount of wear on it, it is of little monetary value."

so that is a bummer, i thought i found something worth a little money,lol.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Not all 'treasure' has monetary value. Many of the things I find are just junk in most people's opinions. I still like the stuff, and to me that's what really matters. You should be happy about finding that coin. Some Chinese miner or railroad worker may have lost it in the mid-19th century. You've got a piece of Chinese AND American history there, relish it. These coins may be common, but how many people other than metal detectorists and coin dealers even know anything about them?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

daniel74868

Good point! Thanks, i feel a little better about my coin now, lol. ;D

Upvote 0
S

stefen

I think you will find Chinese coins in almost every state in the Union.

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many wicker type baskets at flea markets and antique stores with these coins sewed to them. That was a fad I guess about the turn of the 19th century.
Scott

PS What site in Canada did you submit to and get your info?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread