75.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3792963014.jpg
    image-3792963014.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 139

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks pewter, but very old. If you notice where the handle meets the bowl, you can see the fastening. This is the mark of pre-twentieth century manufacture, but the shape of the bowl is modern. While it's not as well done, the design is identical to a Meiji silver one I had.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt-zero said:
It looks pewter, but very old. If you notice where the handle meets the bowl, you can see the fastening. This is the mark of pre-twentieth century manufacture, but the shape of the bowl is modern. While it's not as well done, the design is identical to a Meiji silver one I had.

Thanks! So is it just a reproduction because of the modern bowl?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say exactly that. It is quite similar in the design of the Meiji spoon I had (ca. 1895), but it is just as likely the Japanese spoon was a copy of your spoons design. Given the bowl attachment, my best undereducated estimate of your spoons age is around the turn of the twentieth, give or take twenty years. Civil war era spoons have a wider bowl base with a pointed teardrop shape. There are several websites on spoon history and design.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt-zero said:
I didn't say exactly that. It is quite similar in the design of the Meiji spoon I had (ca. 1895), but it is just as likely the Japanese spoon was a copy of your spoons design. Given the bowl attachment, my best undereducated estimate of your spoons age is around the turn of the twentieth, give or take twenty years. Civil war era spoons have a wider bowl base with a pointed teardrop shape. There are several websites on spoon history and design.

Thanks for all of the help! Do you know any websites for spoon history? I have not been ale to find any.

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dihren,

I made that comment in reguards to some searches I did a number of years ago concerning a coin silver spoon I had found. Just went to see if I could find those resources again, without a lot of luck. I'll check around for the next few days and see if I can re-find the site I was thinking of. I'll let you know.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt-zero said:
Dihren,

I made that comment in reguards to some searches I did a number of years ago concerning a coin silver spoon I had found. Just went to see if I could find those resources again, without a lot of luck. I'll check around for the next few days and see if I can re-find the site I was thinking of. I'll let you know.

Thanks. Do you have any idea on value from the limited info we have right now?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is indeed pewter, it has little monetary value, unless you have a set. Even then pewter spoons are not particularly valueable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread